Many youth are involved in Lancaster County 4-H's companion animal program, which includes rabbit, dog, cat and household pets. Youth ages 8–18 may participate by joining a club or as an independent member. Some clubs focus on a specific animal project while some clubs work on a variety of projects including specific animal projects. Youth are required to provide their own animal — raising an animal develops life skills such as goal setting, discipline and a sense of responsibility.
For more information:
Rabbit program: Kate Pulec at 402-441-7180 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Dog program: Calvin DeVries at 402-441-7180 or email@example.com
Cat and Household Pet programs: Elizabeth Thiltges at 402-441-7180 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Overall Companion Animal Project Resources
- 4-H Club & Member Resources
- Nebraska 4-H Companion Animal Program Website
- Nebraska 4-H Companion Animal Webinar Series
- Nebraska 4-H Companion Animal Challenge
- Nebraska 4-H Video Companion Animal Showmanship Contest
Lancaster County 4-H News & Announcements
Rabbit Project Resources
Rabbit exhibitors, see Youth for the Quality Care of Animal (YQCA) requirements on the Livestock and Poultry Project Resource page.
- Nebraska Extension Online Course: Companion Rabbit Science (covers anatomy, physiology, health, and nutrition — free)
- Lancaster County 4-H Rabbit 2022 Calendar (pdf) Updated for 2022!
- You Can Start a 4-H Rabbit Project (pdf)
- Building a Rabbit Nest Box (pdf)
- Rabbit Ownership Affidavit (pdf)
- Rabbit Showmanship Score Sheet (pdf)
- Video: How to Trim Your Rabbit's Toenails
- Video: How to Groom Your Rabbit
- Video: The Proper Way to Pick Your Rabbit Out of Its Cage
- Video: Showmanship Example #1
- Video: Showmanship Example #2
- Video: Showmanship Example #3
Dog Project Resources
4-H dogs do not require an identification form.
Cat Project Resources
4-H Cat Show/Clinic will be held Saturday, April 9, 2 p.m. at the Lancaster Event Center Fairgrounds – Exhibit Hall Lancaster County Farm Bureau Room, 84th & Havelock, Lincoln. Click for Show Flyer Now posted!
4-H cats do not require an identification form.
Household Pet Project Resources
4-H household pets do not require an identification form.
Lancaster County Super Fair 4-H Companion Animal Information
This web page has non-fair 4-H rabbit, dog, cat and household pet project information. Resources and forms for the 4-H rabbit, dog, cat and household pet shows at Lancaster County Super Fair are on the 4-H at Lancaster County Super Fair web page.