Many youth are involved in Lancaster County 4-H's livestock program, which includes beef cattle, dairy cattle, bucket calves, dairy/pygmy goats, meat goats, sheep, swine and llamas/alpacas. Youth ages 8–18 may participate by joining a club or as an independent member. Some clubs focus on a specific animal project while some clubs work on a variety of projects including specific animal projects. Except for the Pick-a-Pig and Go Go Goat Getters 4-H clubs, youth are required to provide their own animal — raising an animal develops life skills such as goal setting, discipline and a sense of reponsiblity. To compete in 4-H/FFA livestock, poultry and rabbit shows (such as at the Lancaster County Super Fair) exhibitors must complete Youth for the Quality Care of Animal (YQCA) requirements — see box below.
For more information about the livestock program, contact Extension Assistant Calvin DeVries at 402-441-7180 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Lancaster County Super Fair 4-H Livestock & Poultry Information
This web page has non-fair 4-H livestock and poultry project information. Resources, identification information and forms for the 4-H livestock and poultry shows at Lancaster County Super Fair are on the 4-H at Lancaster County Super Fair web page.
4-H Overall Livestock Project Resources
- 4-H Specialty Clubs Invite New Members — includes Pick-a-Pig and Star City Llama & Alpaca 4-H clubs (pdf)
- Nebraska 4-H Livestock Program Website
- Nebraska 4-H Premier Animal Science Event (PASE)
- Nebraska Department of Agriculture Information on How to Get a Premises ID Number
Lancaster County 4-H News & Announcements
4-H Beef/Dairy/Bucket Calf Project Resources
4-H Goat & Sheep Project Resources
4-H Swine Project Resources
4-H Poultry Project Resources
Youth for the Quality Care of Animals Requirements for 4-H/FFA Members Exhibiting Livestock, Poultry and Rabbits Updated for 2021!
4-H/FFA youth enrolled in any of the following animal projects will need to complete Youth for the Quality Care of Animals (YQCA) training:
- Beef (bucket calf, feeder calf, breeding beef, market beef)
- Dairy cattle
- Goat (breeding meat goat, market meat goat, bottle meat goat, dairy/ pygmy goat)
- Sheep (breeding sheep, market sheep)
- Swine (breeding swine, market swine)
Deadline to complete YQCA and submit certificates of completion is JUNE 15. Send completed certificates to Calvin at email@example.com or Nebraska Extension in Lancaster County, 444 Cherrycreek Rd., Ste. A, Lincoln, NE 68528.
Youth must be currently enrolled at https://ne.4honline.com. Only parents/guardians may enroll 4-H members.
In Lancaster County, youth may choose one of two options to complete their YQCA requirements:
- Complete online training at https://yqca.learngrow.io. Cost is $12. For directions and more information, visit https://4h.unl.edu/yqca.
- Attend a face-to-face training held Thursday, May 13 or Thursday, June 10, 6–7 p.m. at the Lancaster Extension Education Center, 444 Cherrycreek Rd., Lincoln. To sign up for face to face trainings, you must go to https://learngrow.io before the training. The training will cost $3 payable by credit or debit card on the website. We cannot take payments in person; all families must register and pay online. You must sign in as proof of attendance — certificates will be available online. Each face-to-face training is limited to 35 youth. Current DHM’s will be followed. We are not able to provide this training over zoom. If youth are not able to attend in person, they must complete the online modules for their age division.
New this year, two Livestock Parent/Leader Training & Identification Help nights will be held at the same time as the Youth for the Quality Care of Animals (YQCA) face-to-face trainings on Thursdays, May 13 or June 10, 6–7 p.m. While 4-H members are participating in the YQCA training, 4-H leaders, parents and volunteers may receive leader training, share ideas and get assistance from 4-H staff with identification paperwork and online entries. Each Help Night will be limited to 15 adults. Current DHM’s will be followed. This training will also be offered over Zoom for those unable to attend in person. Please send your RSVP or to request to attend over Zoom to Calvin.
If you have further questions, contact Calvin at 402-441-7180 or firstname.lastname@example.org.