Many youth are involved in Lancaster County 4-H's livestock program, which includes beef cattle, dairy cattle, bucket calves, dairy/pygmy goats, meat goats, sheep, swine and llamas/alpacas. Youth ages 8–18 may participate by joining a club or as an independent member. Some clubs focus on a specific animal project while some clubs work on a variety of projects including specific animal projects. Except for the Pick-a-Pig and Go Go Goat Getters 4-H clubs, youth are required to provide their own animal — raising an animal develops life skills such as goal setting, discipline and a sense of reponsiblity. To compete in 4-H/FFA livestock, poultry and rabbit shows (such as at the Lancaster County Super Fair) exhibitors must complete Youth for the Quality Care of Animal (YQCA) requirements — see box below.
For more information about the livestock program, contact Extension Assistant Calvin DeVries at 402-441-7180 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Lancaster County Super Fair 4-H Livestock & Poultry Information
This web page has non-fair 4-H livestock and poultry project information. Resources, identification information and forms for the 4-H livestock and poultry shows at Lancaster County Super Fair are on the 4-H at Lancaster County Super Fair web page.
4-H Overall Livestock Project Resources
- 4-H Specialty Clubs Invite New Members — includes Pick-a-Pig and Star City Llama & Alpaca 4-H clubs (pdf) As of Fall 2019
- Nebraska 4-H Livestock Program Website
- PASE information for Lancaster County 4-H'ers (pdf) For 2020
- Nebraska 4-H Premier Animal Science Event (PASE)
- Nebraska Department of Agriculture Information on How to Get a Premises ID Number
Lancaster County 4-H News & Announcements
4-H Beef/Dairy/Bucket Calf Project Resources
4-H Goat & Sheep Project Resources
4-H Swine Project Resources
4-H Poultry Project Resources
- Upcoming Event: UNL Poultry Extension's statewide 4-H contest, "Chick Days," — Saturday, June 6, 2020, 8 a.m.–3 p.m. More information at https://4h.unl.edu/chick-days. New Opportunity!
- UNL Extension Publication (EC282) "Exhibiting 4-H Poultry" (pdf)
- Lancaster County 4-H Embryology & EGG Cam
Youth for the Quality Care of Animals Requirements for 4-H/FFA Members Exhibiting Livestock, Poultry and Rabbits Updated for 2020
4-H/FFA youth enrolled in any of the following animal projects will need to complete Youth for the Quality Care of Animals (YQCA) training:
- Beef (bucket calf, feeder calf, breeding beef, market beef)
- Dairy cattle
- Goat (breeding meat goat, market meat goat, bottle meat goat, dairy/ pygmy goat)
- Sheep (breeding sheep, market sheep)
- Swine (breeding swine, market swine)
Deadline to complete YQCA and submit certificates of completion is JULY 1. Send completed certificates to Calvin at email@example.com or Nebraska Extension in Lancaster County, 444 Cherrycreek Rd., Ste. A, Lincoln, NE 68528.
Youth must be currently enrolled at https://ne.4honline.com. Only parents/guardians may enroll 4-H members.
In Lancaster County, youth must complete their YQCA requirements online:
- Complete online training at https://yqca.learngrow.io. Cost is $12. For directions and more information, visit https://4h.unl.edu/yqca.
If you have further questions, contact Calvin at 402-441-7180 or firstname.lastname@example.org.