In the event of an emergency...there are two extremely important life-saving skill sets every teen should learn:
...understanding how to identify a threat and how to prepare for it should it become real.
“Fostering Emergency Preparedness, Civic Responsibility, and Leadership in Teens”
Lancaster County MyPI
...preparing you, your community, and your family for emergencies!
- Build Life Saving Skill Sets and Be Certified in CPR and AED Usage.
- Learn about Emergency Management and First Responder Careers.
- Identify Hazards and Become Extreme Weather Aware.
- Give Back to Your Communities through the PREP + 6 Service Project.
- Develop Emergency Kits and Family Communication Plans.
- Learn about Technology in Emergency Preparedness, including NOAA Weather Radios, Social and Smartphone Apps, HAM Radio, and more.
MyPI (My Youth Preparedness Initiative) is an award-winning disaster preparedness program for area teens ages 13-18. You do not have to be in 4-H to participate.
Teens learn how to participate in a disaster response, use emergency response equipment, render first aid, and explore careers from certified CERT/Emergency Response instructors. Teens share this information with family and friends in the PREP+6 project. Youth will also be certified in CPR/AED and Teen CERT through the US Department of Homeland Security/Federal Emergency Management Agency.
In addition to becoming a member of Teen CERT, graduates of the program receive a backpack with emergency response equipment, CPR/AED card from the American Red Cross, and partial refund on their enrollment fee (see fees below).
For more information about the program in Lancaster County, contact Soni at 402-441-7180 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- MyPI Student One Page Flier - Lancaster County Training
- MyPI Nebraska Web site
- MyPI Nebraska on Facebook
- MyPI Nebraska on Twitter
Spring/Summer 2018 Lancaster County MyPI Enrollment Fees:
Teens who successfully complete all the requirements of the program and the Prep+6, receive a *$20 refund after graduation and awarded their MyPI Backpack filled with emergency response equipment!
- $60 - *Enrollment Fee (includes CPR/AED training/card from the American Red Cross)
- $45 - *Enrollment Fee for participants who are already certified in CPR/AED with an American Red Cross or American Heart Association card
- $45 - *Enrollment Fee for participants who will observe CPR/AED and not receive a card from the American Red Cross
*Graduates receive a $20 refund and the MyPI backpack filled with emergency response equipment.
This training, which includes the backpack for those completing the course, is valued at over $400.
MyPI Training Schedule:
In order to graduate, youth must complete a three component program (description below). Unless otherwise noted, MyPI training will be held at the Lancaster Extension Education Center, 444 Cherrycreek Road in Lincoln, Nebraska. Schedule:
The Spring/Summer 2018 training is now completed, watch for upcoming training dates!
What are included in the components needed for graduation?
Component A: United States Department of Homeland Security/Federal Emergency Management Agency-certified Teen CERT training and corresponding modules focusing on Disaster Preparedness, Fire Safety and Utility Control, Disaster Medical Operations, Light Search and Rescue, CERT Organization, Disaster Psychology, and Terrorism and CERT.
Component B: CPR and AED, HAM Radio, NOAA Weather Radio, Smoke Alarm Maintenance, and Smart Phone App and Social Media in Emergency Preparedness. Also included is the disaster simulation, and a Career Track focusing on public safety, fire service, and emergency management careers.
Component C: "Prep + 6" community service project in which each participant helps develop emergency supply kits and emergency communication plans for their family AND 6 additional families or households.
Student Perspectives of MyPi