Plant Science Contests
In-Person Horticulture, Tree, Grass & Weed ID Contests
Open to all 4-H'ers from all counties, ages 9–18 (by Jan. 1 of the current year) — need not be enrolled in a horticulture project. Youth choose which contest(s) to participate in. Participants will be able to use a list of plants while identifying samples.
Date: Wednesday June 14, 2023 at 10 a.m.–Noon
Location: Nebraska Extension in Lancaster County Conference Rooms, 444 Cherrycreek Rd, Suite A, Lincoln
Registration deadline: Monday, June 12, 2023 by calling 402-441-7180.
Contest options include:
- Horticulture Contest
- Tree Identification
- Weed & Grass Identification
Lancaster County 4-H Online Tree and Grass & Weed ID Contests
Open to all youth and adults. Enrollment in 4-H is not required to participate. 2023 contests will be open from Friday, June 2, 9 a.m. through Friday, June 16, 9 a.m.
Nebraska 4-H Online Horticulture Judging Contest
A statewide online Horticulture Judging Contest which tests 4-H'ers knowledge in three areas: general knowledge questions, plant part and seed identification, as well as a judging portion. 2023 contest will be available from Friday, June 2, 8 a.m. through Friday, June 16, 8 a.m.
Plant Science Contest Resources
Tree ID Contest Study Resources:
- Tree Identification Manual (4-H 332), Nebraska Extension publication. $5.50 for pdf.
Weed and Grass ID Contest Study Resources:
- Weed & Grass Plant List for Identification Contest, Nebraska 4-H (pdf).
- Common Grasses of Nebraska (EC170), Nebraska Extension publication. Free web versions, $5 for print version.
- Weeds of the Great Plains. $35 for hardbound book. Nebraska Department of Agriculture
Horticulture Contest Study Resources:
- NJHA Horticulture Contest Identification Answer Sheet, National Example (pdf)
- Landscape Ornamentals, Lancaster County 4-H PowerPoint With Lots of Photos (.ppt - large file)
- Flowers and Indoor Plants, Lancaster County 4-H PowerPoint With Lots of Photos (.ppt - large file)
- Vegetables, Lancaster County 4-H PowerPoint With Lots of Photos (.ppt - large file)
Lancaster County Super Fair
County & State Fair Resources
4-H members and volunteers should use these resources to help prepare plant exhibits for Lancaster County Super Fair and Nebraska State Fair Contests.
Lancaster County 4-H website with Fair Book, Resources, Forms and Fair Results/Photos
Selecting and Preparing Vegetables, Herbs, and Fruit or Exhibits at County Fairs and the Nebraska State Fair, Nebraska Extension free online publication (pdf)
Preparing Cut Flowers for Exhibits at County Fairs and the Nebraska State Fair, Nebraska Extension free online publication (pdf)
Showing Flowers and Vegetables at the Lancaster County Super Fair, Lancaster County 4-H handout (pdf)
NebGuide G1853 "Propagating House Plants, Listing of common houseplants found in Nebraska.