In-person Horticulture, Tree, Grass & Weed ID Contests
Open to all 4-Her’s from all counties, ages 10-18. Enrollment in a horticulture project is not required to participate.
Date: Wednesday June 15, 2022 at 10 a.m. - Noon
Registration deadline: June 7, 2022 by calling (402) 441-7180.
Contest options include:
- Horticulture Contest
- Tree Identification
- Weed & Grass Identification
Online Tree and Grass & Weed ID Contests
Open to all youth and adults. Enrollment in 4-H is not required to participate. Contests open from Friday June 3, 2022 at 9 a.m. through Tuesday June 21, 2022 at 9 a.m. Rules and links to participate
Online Horticulture Judging Contest
Nebraska 4-H offers a statewide online Horticulture Judging Contest which tests 4-H'ers knowledge in three areas: general knowledge questions, plant part and seed identification, as well as a judging portion.
This year, the online contest will be available Friday, June 3, 8 a.m. through Monday, June 20, 2022 at 8 a.m.
Plant Science Contest Resources
Tree ID Contest Study Resources:
- Tree Identification Manual (4-H 332), Nebraska Extension publication. $5.50 for pdf.
Weed and Grass ID Contest Study Resources:
- Weed & Grass Plant List for Identification Contest, Nebraska 4-H (pdf).
- Common Grasses of Nebraska (EC170), Nebraska Extension publication. Free web versions, $5 for print version.
- Weeds of the Great Plains. $35 for hardbound book. Nebraska Department of Agriculture
Horticulture Contest Study Resources:
- NJHA Horticulture Contest Identification Answer Sheet, National Example (pdf)
- Landscape Ornamentals, Lancaster County 4-H PowerPoint With Lots of Photos (.ppt - large file)
- Flowers and Indoor Plants, Lancaster County 4-H PowerPoint With Lots of Photos (.ppt - large file)
- Vegetables, Lancaster County 4-H PowerPoint With Lots of Photos (.ppt - large file)
Lancaster County Super Fair
County & State Fair Resources
4-H members and volunteers should use these resources to help prepare plant exhibits for Lancaster County Super Fair and Nebraska State Fair Contests.
Lancaster County 4-H website with Fair Book, Resources, Forms and Fair Results/Photos
Selecting and Preparing Vegetables, Herbs, and Fruit or Exhibits at County Fairs and the Nebraska State Fair, Nebraska Extension free online publication (pdf)
Preparing Cut Flowers for Exhibits at County Fairs and the Nebraska State Fair, Nebraska Extension free online publication (pdf)
Showing Flowers and Vegetables at the Lancaster County Super Fair, Lancaster County 4-H handout (pdf)
NebGuide G1853 "Propagating House Plants, Listing of common houseplants found in Nebraska.