Many Lancaster County 4-H clubs and independent members give back to their community through service projects. Participating in community service projects is a powerful way for youth to gain the skills they need to be prepared to lead. Some leadership skills youth gain through service include confidence, critical thinking, organization, public speaking, emotional intelligence, the power of action and empathy. In addition, youth can gain career skills through service. Some of the skills employers are looking for are the same ones gained by completing a community service project: communication skills, teamwork and budgeting.
Community Service Ideas
- 366 Community Service Ideas (organized into 14 categories such as children, family & friends; helping the hungry/homeless; neighborhood enhancement; and senior citizens)
- Adopt a Highway, Trail or Park
- Kiwanis Karnival sponsored by Lincoln Center Kiwanis is usually held in April at Elliott Elementary School. 4-H clubs provide carnival-type booths. For more information, call Lorene at 402-423-7541 or 402-310-3481, or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Nebraska 4-H Community Service Resources
Community Service Recognition Opportunities
- Lancaster County 4-H Community Service Awards
- Nebraska 4-H Achievement Application (community involvement/service learning experiences is one of four accomplishment areas youth record)
- Nebraska 4-H Diamond Clover Program (at the beginning of the 4-H year, youth select accomplishments they plan to complete, which can include a service learning project)
- Nebraska 4-H Gives Back (A 4-H member or team must complete a major service-learning project, investing over 100 hours)
- Nebraska 4-H Club of Excellence (one of the criteria is the club must complete one community service project)
- The Lancaster County Super Fair has several 4-H static exhibit opportunities related to community service, such as care package. See current 4-H/FFA Fairbook
- The Prudential Spirit of Community Awards - National 4-H Council is an official designated organization