March 21 & 22, 2017
Southeast Community College
About earth wellness festival
Students attending earth wellness festival experience science as an essential and exciting part of their lives. The festival is a culminating event reinforcing concepts introduced to students through current environmental curriculum like 4-H school enrichment.
The festival provides students with a 25-minute creative and "hands-on"/engaging learning experience in each area of water, land, air and living resources. The students participate in a culminating activity with raptors from the World Bird Sanctuary from St. Louis, Missouri.
earth wellness festival organizers work closely with local schools to ensure the activities and materials correspond with their fifth-grade curriculum. Educators, environmentalists and government representatives are utilized as the 300 presenters and volunteers for earth wellness festival.
Kits For Kids: earth wellness festival fosters year-round opportunities for students and teachers to link environmental issues with science-based curriculum. In October, a unique pre-festival learning kit is provided to classrooms attending the festival. Each kit contains curriculum and all the supplies (beans, rocks, vinegar, flashlights, magnifying glasses, pH paper and more) needed to complete 20+ activities covering topics in soils (land), water, air, living resources and impact.
Walk the Talk: A recycling program implemented at the festival substantially reduces waste generated by participants. An attractive station located in the college cafeteria collects recyclable items. Festival organizers, with the help of many supporters, are able to practice what they teach.
The earth wellness festival steering committee is comprised of representatives from local educational resource agencies. The outstanding collaboration and cooperation of the committee is one reason for the festival's continued success. The partners in this project are:
- Nebraska Extension in Lancaster County
- Lower Platte South Natural Resources District
- City of Lincoln
- Keep Nebraska Beautiful
- Lincoln/Lancaster County Health Department
- Lincoln Public Schools
- National Drought Mitigation Center
- Southeast Community College-Lincoln
- University of Nebraska-Lincoln Environmental Studies Program
- University of Nebraska-Lincoln School of Natural Resources
THANK YOU VOLUNTEERS
Each year, more than 250 volunteers take part in earth wellness festival activities. As classroom guides, volunteers are essential to the success of this event. In return, you receive the opportunity to participate in a rewarding volunteer experience, a festival T-shirt, coffee, rolls, and lunch.
We are now taking on-line registrations for the 2017 earth wellness festival!
- Volunteer Brochure & Mail-in Form - Coming Soon
- Online Volunteer Registration
If you are interested in more information on earth wellness festival, call 402-441-8023 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
- 2016 Photos
- 2015 Photos
- 2014 Photos
- 2013 Photos
- 2012 Photos
- 2011 Photos
- 2011 Photos/Video from Lincoln Public Schools (this link opens to a new window)
- 2010 Photos
- 2008 Photos
- 2016 earth wellness festival Turtle Talk
- 2016 earth wellness festival Endangered Species
- 2014 "Wow Wind" Video
- 2012 earth wellness festival Endangered Species video
- 2011 earth wellness festival raptor video
- 2009 earth wellness festival video
Thanks to all Donors! Including:
- Raising Canes
- Women's Chamber of Commerce