Nebraska Extension in Lancaster County has developed Nutrition School Enrichment Kits which include lessons and supplies for grade-specific, hands-on learning activities to teach students about health, nutrition and physical activity. Participating classrooms spend an average of 5–6 hours using the kits through Extension team members and teachers. This 4-H school enrichment program meets LPS health curriculum objectives and national health standards. Teachers consistently give this program excellent reviews! Pre- and post-evaluations show students gain significant improvements in knowledge.
LPS Title 1 Elementary School
(50% or greater free and reduced lunch count)
These kits are administered through the Nutrition Education Program in Lancaster County and Nebraska Health and Human Services, funded through the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program federal grant. For more information, contact Extension Educator Alyssa Havlovic at 402-441-7180 or email@example.com
Kit Descriptions by Grade
Each nutrition kit has five lessons with a sixth optional lesson filled with hands-on activities and an experiment to help teach nutrition and physical activity in the classroom.
Kindergarten: Food Fun!
Kindergarten youth discover food is fun as they learn:
- Explain why food is important for good health
- Name the 5 basic food groups that help keep the body healthy
- Name the 5 senses and associate sensory organs with senses
1st Grade: Healthy Me!
Join Dairy Council's "CHEF COMBO" as he helps first graders discover:
- Why their bodies need food
- How their bodies use this food
- How to plan a balanced meal
- How to choose healthy snacks
2nd Grade: MyPlate Party
Through a variety of activities, second graders discover:
- Why balanced meals are important
- The digestive process
- How to make healthful food choices
3rd Grade: Let's Eat Smart!
Third graders discover:
- How our body gets important nutrients
- How to read food labels
- Safe storage of foods
4th Grade: Rate that Plate!
Fourth graders will enjoy learning how to:
- Explain why your body needs water, vitamins and minerals
- Identify healthful ways to eat
- Explain how to eat healthfully at fast-food restaurants
- Explain how to choose healthful foods and why you need to eat a healthful breakfast
5th Grade: F.S.I. – Food Science Investigator Kit
Fifth graders' curiosity will quickly peak as they investigate:
- Describe how to use MyPlate to plan a balanced diet
- Explain why and how to find and maintain a healthful weight
- Comparison of food labels
- Food safety