2018 Lancaster County 4-H Plant Science Contests
Three Plant Science Contests will be held Wednesday, June 13, 10 a.m.–1 p.m at the Lancaster Extension Education Center, 444 Cherrycreek Road, Lincoln. Registration is required by Monday, June 11 by calling 402-441-7180 (there is no entry form). Open to all 4-H'ers from all counties ages 10-18 -- premiums paid by the county where the youth is enrolled.
Youth choose which portions of the contest to participate in:
- tree identification
- weed & grass identification
- horticulture contest
Nebraska 4-H Online Horticulture Judging Contest
Nebraska 4-H usually offers an online Horticulture Judging Contest each June. The contest tests your knowledge in three areas; identification, judging, and general knowledge. More information will be posted.
Lancaster County Super Fair & Nebraska State Fair Plant Science Resources:
4-H members and volunteers should use these plant lists/photos and resources to help prepare for Lancaster County Super Fair and Nebraska State Fair Contests.
- 4-H & FFA Fair Forms, Fair book, Resources, Maps, Photos/Results
- Selecting and Preparing Vegetables, Herbs, and Fruit or Exhibits at County Fairs and the Nebraska State Fair - Nebraska 4-H
- Preparing Cut Flowers for Exhibits at County Fairs and the Nebraska State Fair
- Showing Flowers and Vegetables at the Lancaster County Super Fair
- NebGuide G1853 "Propagating House Plants" includes a list of includes a listing of common houseplants found in Nebraska
Special Garden Project, Jazzy Mix Zinnia
4-H families are invited to participate in a special garden project growing Jazzy Mix Zinnia. Twenty seed packets are available on a first-come, first-served basis. Learn more
Identification Examples & Photos
Grass, Forb, Crop and Weed ID Contest:
All grass and weed plants on the list are described in either the Weeds of the Great Plains (published by Nebraska Department of Agriculture, (402) 471-2394, Cost: $25.00) or in Common Grasses of Nebraska, EC170, (published by the Nebraska Extension, http://extensionpubs.unl.edu/, Cost: $5.00). There is not currently a crop identification guide available.
Tree ID Contest: