2020 Lancaster County 4-H Plant Science Contests
Three Plant Science Contests will be held Wednesday, June 10, 10 a.m.–1:30 p.m at the Lancaster Extension Education Center, 444 Cherrycreek Road, Lincoln. Registration is required by Monday, June 8 by calling 402-441-7180 (there is no entry form). Open to all 4-H'ers from all counties ages 10-18 — premiums paid by the county where the youth is enrolled. Enrollment in a horticulture project is not required to participate.
Youth choose which portions of the contest to participate in:
- Tree identification
- Weed & grass identification
- Horticulture contest
Participants will be able to use a list of plants while identifying samples. Participating youth will be offered a free lunch after the contests, while the contest papers are being graded. Ribbons will be awarded and contest winners announced after the lunch.
Here is a print-friendly flyer with above information.
2020 Nebraska 4-H Online Horticulture Judging Contest
Nebraska 4-H offers a statewide online Horticulture Judging Contest which tests 4-H'ers knowledge in three areas: general knowledge questions, plant part and seed identification, as well as a judging portion. This year the contest will be available from Friday, June 5, 8 a.m. through Monday, June 22. The link to participate will be https://go.unl.edu/hortcontest.
Tree ID Contest Study Resources:
- Nebraska Extension publication Tree Identification Manual (4-H 332). $5.50 for pdf.
Weed and Grass ID Contest Study Resources:
- Nebraska 4-H (pdf) Weed & Grass Plant List for Identification Contest.
- Nebraska Extension publication Common Grasses of Nebraska (EC170). Free web versions, $5 for print version.
- Nebraska Department of Agriculture Weeds of the Great Plains. As of January 2020, inventory clearance of $12.50 per copy to make room for an updated version which will be available in 2020.
Horticulture Contest Study Resources:
- National Example (pdf) NJHA Horticulture Contest Identification Answer Sheet.
- Lancaster County 4-H PowerPoint With Lots of Photos (.ppt - large file) Landscape Ornamentals.
- Lancaster County 4-H PowerPoint With Lots of Photos (.ppt - large file) Flowers and Indoor Plants.
- Lancaster County 4-H PowerPoint With Lots of Photos (.ppt - large file) Vegetables.
Resources for Plant Exhibits at Lancaster County Super Fair & Nebraska State Fair
4-H members and volunteers should use these resources to help prepare plant exhibits for Lancaster County Super Fair and Nebraska State Fair Contests.
- Lancaster County 4-H website with Fair Book, Resources, Forms and Fair Results/Photos
- Nebraska Extension free online publication (pdf) Selecting and Preparing Vegetables, Herbs, and Fruit or Exhibits at County Fairs and the Nebraska State Fair - Nebraska 4-H.
- Nebraska Extension free online publication (pdf) Preparing Cut Flowers for Exhibits at County Fairs and the Nebraska State Fair.
- Lancaster County 4-H handout (pdf) Showing Flowers and Vegetables at the Lancaster County Super Fair
- Nebraska Extension NebGuide (pdf) NebGuide G1853 "Propagating House Plants" includes a list of includes a listing of common houseplants found in Nebraska.
2020 Special Garden Project
Lancaster County 4-H families are invited to participate in a special garden project, growing the Flower, Classic Magic Bachelor Button. Seed packets are available April 27, on a first-come, first-served basis. The cost is 50 cents for one seed packet per family. Please stop by the Extension office front desk on or after April 27 to register, pay for and pick up your seeds. Office hours are Monday–Friday, 8 a.m.–4:30 p.m. We are unable to take orders over the phone or reserve seeds in advance.