There are many styles of Compost Bins
Compost is a mixture of dead plant material and soil. Compost can be used in the garden to improve the soil and fertilize plants. You will be helping the environment by using up things that would normally be thrown away.
Making a Compost Pile
1. Collect material to put into compost bin or compost pile.
2. Layer the collected material and soil in the pile
3. Add water to dampen the pile.
4. Turn the pile regularly. At least once every 2 weeks.
5. In about 3 months the compost will be ready. Compost can be added to the garden to improve the soil.
DO put in a compost bin: grass clippings, weeds, tree leaves, vegetable & flower plant parts, coffee grounds, egg shells, soil, water, paper, potato peels.
DO NOT put in a compost bin: bones, grease, butter, cat or dog manure, meat, butter, milk, rocks, foil, cans
Suggested Resources: You can also compost with worms - vermicomposting. Learn more HERE
Nebraska Extension in Lancaster County is your on-line yard and garden educational resource. The information on this Web site is valid for residents of southeastern Nebraska. It may or may not apply in your area. If you live outside southeastern Nebraska, visit your local Extension office
Contact Information Nebraska Extension in Lancaster County
Web site: lancaster.unl.edu
444 Cherrycreek Road, Suite A, Lincoln, NE 68528 | 402-441-7180