Baby's First Year
- Baby's First Year
- Parenting Resources
- Families: Nebraska's Future
- Search this Site
- Your Local Extension Office
Programs are available throughout Nebraska to help meet the needs of families and children
Drinking from a Cup
Some 5-month-old babies are ready to start learning how to drink from a cup, although they still need to use a bottle most of the time. Choose a non-breakable cup with handles to hold. A small cup is best. A large cup could cover baby's eyes when she drinks from it and scare her. Try these steps:
1. Give baby the empty cup to hold and to look at.
2. Let baby watch you and other family members drinking from a cup.
3. Put a spoonful of water or juice in the cup and let baby help you tip it so he can drink.
4. When he wants to hold his own cup, the tippi-style cups with a lid will help prevent spills.
More Parenting & Family Resources:
Photo Credit - Deanna Karmazin