The 2015 4-H Horse Awards Night, held Oct. 1, recognized top achievements at the Lancaster County Super Fair and other accomplishments throughout the past year. 4-H volunteer Jeff Rawlinson was Master of Ceremonies. The Mini Titans 4-H Club distributed programs and led the Pledge of Allegiance and 4-H Pledge. Additional photos are online at www.flickr.com/photos/unlextlanco/albums. Congratulations to all Lancaster County 4-H horsemen for their achievements in 2015!
Photos from Awards Night are available on Flickr
Shining Stars Award:
- Arraya Cramer, Samantha Fox and Chase McInteer for shining in the Groom and Care class at the Lancaster County Super Fair. The judge kept asking questions to try to stump them and they answered them all. The judge told Marty he didn’t have a kid in his county that could have done the kind of job they did!
- Michaela Bunz (Top Incentive Award) for her incentive activities. She was very organized and wrote an awesome story about her horse who is named Daisy entitled “Riding Miss Daisy,” and a second fictional story entitled “Second Chances.” Michaela also wrote a really nice report on Ulysses S. Grant’s war horse named Cincinnati.
- Kali Maytum for her incentive activities. She wrote a wonderful story, “That One Wish,” about a beautiful wizard turning three girls into horses. Kali also did a nice job with the body conditioning assignment.
- Porshe Miller for her incentive records being super organized. She calendared her hours and then summarized an explanation of activity.
- Kate Rawlinson for her incentive activities, she wrote a beautiful story about her 4-H project.
- Corynn Smith for the great job she did on her horsemanship levels written work.
Share Your Shine Award:
- Aubrey Hayes for stepping up and helping younger 4-Hers with their horses, which helped keep everyone safe.
- Bailee Sobotka for taking on being superintendent of the Horse Judging Contest and organizing the entire event!
- Bailey Vogler for stepping up and helping younger 4-H’ers with their horses, which helped keep everyone safe.
- Jena Wilson for achieving a horsemanship advancement level IV so she could help conduct horsemanship level tests.
I Do My Own Stunts Award:
- Emily Cashmere for when she fell off her horse at fair (more than once), she got right back on.
Special Sportsmanship Award:
- Sidney Froistad by the Prairie Star 4-H Club
4-H HORSE PROJECT HORSEMANSHIP ADVANCEMENT LEVELS
The Nebraska 4-H Horse Project advancement levels are designed to serve as guides for instruction and evaluation of each member’s progress. The correct handling of horses is emphasized from the beginning level to the most advanced level. This year, 57 Lancaster County 4-H’ers achieved new horsemanship levels. Each level is a huge accomplishment.
- Level I Ground (new this year for miniature horse exhibitors) — Arraya Cramer, Kyra Hinrichs, Olivia Hinrichs, Tyler Wilson and Olivia Wood
- Level I Walk Trot — Jocelyn Cobb, Samantha Fox, Grace Kohnke, Skylar Melbye, Allison Riedman and Shyann Severson
- Level I — Michaela Bunz, Rayley Burnside, Melina Cobb, Cally Dorff, Liz Hidalgo, Lauren Kelley, Katie Malina, Abby Manley, Chase McInteer, Marissa Napoleone, Dana Rademacker, Calli Robinson, Harper Rosenstiel, Sidney Schlesiger, Maddie Schnase, Corynn Smith and Bryce Teut
- Level II — Abigail Baack, Lillie Beach, Kieran Burkey, Trinity Bohaty, Felicity Bowers, Rayley Burnside, Emmi Dearmont, Cally Dorff, Dani Drbal, Alyssa Fisbeck, Sidney Froistad, Ellie Hula, Harper Lawson, Kali Maytum, Porshe Miller, Katherine Moyer, Sierra Sander, Corynn Smith, Chloe Stander, Alexa Starner, Bryce Teut, Stella Uiterwaal and Emma Jo Whaley
- Level III — Brooke Bennett, Emily Burnside and Emily Cashmere
- Level IV — Christy Cooper, Kate Cooper and Jena Wilson
HORSE INCENTIVE AWARDS
4-H’ers logged the hours they spent working with or learning about horses. The more hours invested, the more valuable the reward! This year, 42 4-H’ers participated. The Incentive Awards are sponsored by the Lancaster County 4-H Horse Volunteers in Program Service (VIPS) Committee.
- Bronze (minimum of 100 hours or points) – Mackenzie Robles
- Silver (minimum of 183 hours or points) –Anne Cashmere, Emily Cashmere, Melina Cobb, Christy Cooper, Caidell Davis, Dani Drbal, Kate Erdkamp, Bailey Hampton, Mia Hermanson, Jordan Lesback, Alyssa Loudon, Kali Maytum, Ally Quinn, Calli Robinson, Harper Rosentiel, Sidney Schlesiger, Shyann Severson, Alexa Starner, Cadi Wilbeck, Jena Wilson and Emmaly Wright
- Gold (minimum of 366 hours or points and completed horse record book) – Nicole Ackland, Ellie Bunz, Michaela Bunz, Ashley Clegg, Kate Cooper, Cally Dorff, Sidney Froistad, Megan Hansen, Aubrey Hayes, Lindsay Herrick, Aubrey Kelley, Grace Kim, Cassie Meyer, Porshe Miller, Kate Rawlinson, Emma Sondgeroth, Chloe Stander, Aussia Stander, Stella Uiterwaal and Bethany Wachter
The Horse Judging Contest (a Lancaster County Super Fair contest) emphasizes how much 4-H members know about horse confirmation as they judge four or more classes of horses. Senior division participants also give oral reasons. Buckles sponsored by the Glenn Umberger family.
Elementary Division – Cadi Wilbeck (Champion), Cally Dorff (Reserve Champion), Julia Soukup (3rd), Chloe Stander (4th), Maureen Sughroue (5th), Harper Rosentiel (6th)
Junior Division – Lauren Kelley (Champion), Kristen Harrison (Reserve Champion), Madeline Polk (3rd), Madison Sobotka (4th), Kate Cooper (5th), Caidell Davis (6th), Katherine Moyer (7th) and Aussia Stander (8th)
Senior Division – Anna Heusinger (Champion), Kate Erdkamp (Reserve Champion), Lucy Polk (3rd), Kathryn Egelhoff (4th), Christy Cooper (5th), Emily Burnside (6th) and Jadin Vogler (7th)
Herdsmanship at the Lancaster County Super Fair is “the manner in which members care for their animals and display them at the fair.” All exhibitors are expected to care for their horses (feed, water and manure disposal) and cooperate in keeping stalls and alleys clean, neat and attractive.
- Large Club Champion — Boots N Hooves with a score of 98.8% (leader Teresa Brandt)
- Large Club Reserve Champion — Lucky Lopers with a score of 95.6% (leader Katie Cruickshank)
- Small Club Champion — Blazing Saddles with a perfect score of 100% (leader Sheila Purdum)
- Small Club Reserve Champion — Haltered Hearts with a score of 96.8% (leader MaryAlice Braun)
- Independent Champion — Bethany Wachter with a score of 98.6%
- Independent Reserve Champion — Zoey Williams with a score of 97.87%
STALL DECORATION AWARDS
Clubs and independent members take pride in decorating their stall areas at the Lancaster County Super Fair.
- Large Club Champion — Prairie Star (leader Sally Schedlock)
- Large Club Reserve Champion — Esprit De Corps (leader Jennifer Rawlinson)
- Small Club Champion — Denim N Dust (leader Tina Sondgeroth)
- Small Club Reserve Champion — Buckles and Bling (co-leaders Karen Cooper and Pam Davis)
Dick and Cookie Confer Top Trail Award for all-around champion of the Lancaster County Super Fair 4-H Trail obstacle class — Jadin Vogler. Presented by Dick Confer.
Franklyn Manning Award for fastest time in the Lancaster County Super Fair 4-H Barrel racing competition — Anna Heusinger
Three age division awards for All-Around Cowboy/Cowgirl at the Lancaster County Super Fair are sponsored by Pro Performance Equine – Dr. Adam Gengenbaugh, Dana and Pam Wolfe, and the Nebraska Roping Horse Association. Elementary — Bryce Teut; Junior — Kate Cooper; Senior — Bailey Vogler
ALL-AROUND RANCH HORSE
Three age division awards for All-Around Ranch Horse at the Lancaster County Super Fair are sponsored by Olive Creek Acres Performance Horses – Brian and Shannon Vogler. Brian Vogler made leather, horse-breast collars for the winners. Elementary — Hadley Teut (horse “Bunny”); Senior — Jadin Vogler (horse “Kenai”)
HIGH SCORE DRESSAGE RIDER
Nebraska Dressage Association High Score Dressage Rider Award (new this year!) for high score riders in the 4-H Dressage Show at the Lancaster County Super Fair, sponsored by Hunter’s Pride 4-H Club — Cally Dorff (Champion) and Melissa Carlson (Reserve Champion). Presented by Laureen VanNorman of the Nebraska Dressage Association.
Lowell Boomer All-Around High Point Jumping Award (new this year!) for the all-around champion in the 4-H jumping classes at the Lancaster County Super Fair — Abby Baack. Presented by Diane Usher.
ALL-AROUND MINIATURE HORSE
Bluestem All-Around Miniature Horse Award (new this year!) for high point 4-H miniature horse at the Lancaster County Super Fair, sponsored by the Bluestem Miniature Horse Club — Kyra Hinrichs (horse “Lilliput Acres Kiowa”). Pictured with Extension Associate Marty Cruickshank.
Wilhelmina Wittstruck Memorial Award for Lancaster County Super Fair All-Around 4-H Champion Individual — Clara Bradbury. Presented by Dwayne Wittstruck.