"4-H teaches science and life skills at school, home and on the Web".
In Lancaster County, Nebraska, nearly 4,000 third graders in 175 classrooms at 53 schools incubate, candle and watch eggs hatch as part of the 4-H Embryology School Enrichment program. We have put together resources to help teachers set up incubators and make a simple brooding box for their classrooms.
NEW Poster: Growth chart from chick to chicken! This is a printable 17"x22" poster for use in classrooms, with 4-H/FFA and more. Free resource from UNL Extension in Lancaster County. (updated 5/9/2014) View & Download Poster
- Incubator Set Up for 4-H Embryology - UNL Extension in Lancaster County, NE: How to set up a Hova-Bator model 1588 circulated air incubator.
- Brooder Set Up for 4-H Embryology - UNL Extension in Lancaster County, NE: How to setup a brooder for baby chickens in a classroom.
About Your Incubators:
- Printable Instructions for: Hovabator model 1588, Square Styrofoam Models and Wood Incubators
More Incubation Resources:
- Common Incubation Problems: Causes & Remedies (Univ of California)
- Incubation & Embryology Questions & Answers (Univ of Illinois Extension)
- 4-H Embryology in the Classroom (Penn State Univ)
- Incubation and Embryology (Univ of Illlinois Extension)
- The Incredible EGG - (4-H 165 GPM). Order from the Ohio State Univ.
- Bird Flu - Memo to Lincoln Public Schools Teachers
- Free Handwashing Poster - English & Spanish
- Don't Chicken Out Due to Unnecessary Health Concerns
- Development & Preservation of Embryos (Univ of Illinois-Urbana-Champaign)
- About Guinea Fowl
- About Japanese Quail
- What Will I Look Like When I Grow Up
- Poultry Links & Resources from UNL Extension in Lancaster County
- Raising Ducks. Includes Incubation Resources. (Univ of Minnesota Extension)
- University of California Poultry Web Page
- Poultry Extension Resources (Penn State Univ)
- Nest Box Cams from Cornell Lab of Ornithology
Comments & Questions
Discuss, ask more questions, get instant updates here:
Lancaster County, Nebraska
4-H Embryology Resources
- Home Page
- Candling Photos & Movie Clips
- Watch EGG Cam
- Poultry Photos & Hatching
- Lancaster County 4-H
- Search this Site
Links to Schools: There are many schools participating in Embryology-related Projects. If you would like your school's web site listed, show your teacher this web site and ask him or her to contact us. We'll be happy to share your project!
Nebraska Extension in Lancaster County
Web site: lancaster.unl.edu
444 Cherrycreek Road, Suite A,
Lincoln, NE 68528