A celebration of the Lancaster County 4-H Year
4-H Achievement Celebration
Nebraska Extension in Lancaster County and 4-H Council presented Lancaster County 4-H Achievement Celebration on Feb. 20, 2018. 4-H’ers, 4-H clubs and 4-H leaders were recognized for their 2017 achievements. The theme was "4-H'ers are Heroes!" Lancaster County 4-H congratulates all 4-H youth who commit themselves to excellence! We also thank all 4-H volunteers for donating their time and talents to youth!
- 4-H Achievement Celebration Photos - February 20, 2018 on Flickr
- Lancaster County 4-H 2017 Year in Review video on YouTube
- Lancaster County Commissioners' "4-H Achievement Day" Proclamation
- Master of Ceremonies —Mitch Sump
- Programs distributed by Little Green Giants
- Pledges led by Learning Leaders
- Proclamation read by County Commissioner Vice-Chair Jennifer Brinkman
Career Portfolios are a record of an individual’s 4-H career. It includes a record of personal growth and leadership experiences related to the knowledge learned, skills gained, and community service/volunteer activities experienced through 4-H. Each 4-H’er submitting a Career Portfolio, will receive a $30 Activity Certificate from Lancaster County 4-H Council redeemable towards 4-H activities and supplies.
Completed a Career Portfolio: Aleyna Cuttlers, Kylie Hansen, Micah Pracheil, Samuel Babcock, Clare Bauman, Cecilia Yallaly, Khloe Cuttlers, Ethan Gabel, Morgan Gabel
Nominated to represent Lancaster County at District competition:
- Ellie Babcock: Consumer & Family Science
- Anna Sump: Healthy Lifestyles Education
COMMUNITY SERVICE AWARDS
Presented to 4-H'ers who have completed the most hours of community service.
Age 14 and over: Ellie Babcock, Kali Burnham, Thomas Cook, Payton Filing, Nathan Gabel, Valerie Gabel, Bailee Gunnerson, Abigail Kreifels, Emma Lanik, Addison Wanser
Age 13 and under: Clare Bauman, Andrew Frain, Kylie Hansen, Maleah Jamison, Zoey Jamison, Sara Kreikemeier, Lilly Riedel, Alexa Smith, David Swotek, Ava Vogel, Conner Vogel, Kamryn Wanser
NEBRASKA 4-H CLUBS OF EXCELLENCE
Nebraska 4-H Clubs of Excellence have met the criteria outlined by the State 4-H Office to be considered a “Club of Excellence.” Some of the criteria includes: choose/elect youth officers, have one club project they do together and complete one community service project.
Clever Clovers, Crafty Clovers, Fantastic 4, Five Star 4-H’ers, Fusion 4-Hers, Go Go Goat Getters, Joe’s Clover Knights, JP2 Crew, Learning Leaders, Rabbits R Us, Rockin’ Riders, Shamtastic Clovers, Super Shamrocks
OUTSTANDING 4-H CLUBS
To encourage participation in the county fair, Lincoln Center Kiwanis Club awards traveling trophies to the top 4-H clubs participating in the Lancaster County Super Fair. One category winner is awarded the Wayne C. Farmer Memorial Cup as the overall Outstanding 4-H Club for the year. Clubs receive points based on all members’ total county fair exhibit and contest placings. The Outstanding 4-H Clubs were also recognized at a Kiwanis meeting.
Category I (membership of 5-10 members) & winner of the Wayne C. Farmer Memorial Cup: The Happy Hearts 4-H Club of Lincoln — the club’s five members were enrolled in 9 project areas and entered 64 total exhibits at the fair. This is the club’s first year as an outstanding 4-H club. Jill Greff and Leia Noel are the leaders.
Category II (membership of 11-20): Club South Prairie 4-H Club of rural Lincoln — the club’s 18 members were enrolled in 16 project areas and entered 184 total exhibits at fair. This is the club’s first year as an outstanding 4-H club. Michelle Huber is club leader.
Category III (membership of 21 or more): Amazing Treasures 4-H Club of the Waverly and Lincoln area — the club’s 39 members were enrolled in 12 project areas and entered 216 total exhibits at fair. This is the club’s first year as an outstanding 4-H club. Kelly Brown and Nichole Jelinek are the leaders.
OUTSTANDING 4-H MEMBERS
Presented to individuals 14 years of age or older who have excelled in his/her involvement with the Lancaster County 4-H program. Selection is based on participation in a wide variety — and depth of — 4-H activities.
Bailee Gunnerson joined 4-H as soon as she was eligible at the age of 5. She has completed an extensive range of projects. Bailee is currently Rabbits R Us 4-H club president, 4-H Teen Council president and 4-H Council vice-president. She has volunteered over 2,500 hours of community service!
Emma Lanik is a very active 10-year 4-H member and delved into an enormous number of 4-H projects during her 4-H career. She was formerly a member of the Fantastic 4 4-H club and is currently a member of The Career Academy FFA. Emma has volunteered over 1,000 hours of community service in the past five years alone!
4-H MERITORIOUS SERVICE
Presented to individuals or organizations who have exhibited consistent and strong support of the Lancaster County 4-H program.
Ron & Barb Suing began volunteering for 4-H in Lancaster County when their three children joined 4-H. Barb was leader of the Creative Towngirls 4-H club for 16 years and has been a 4-H Food Superintendent at the Lancaster County Fair for 36 years and counting! Ron was leader of the Hills Heroes 4-H club for 6 years and has been 4-H Engineering Superintendent at the County Fair for 31 years and counting! Ron has taught rocketry at Clover College for 21 years. Both volunteered a number of years at the Nebraska State Fair when it was in Lincoln.
The Lancaster County 4-H program offers a variety of college scholarships to active senior 4-H members.
Lancaster County 4-H Council: Awards $700 scholarships to active Lancaster County 4-H'ers: Katherine Cooper, Valerie Gabel, Peter Greff, Bailee Gunnerson, Jaclyn Heinrich, McKenzie Kapperman, Emma Lanik, Emma Noel, Madison Schnase
4-H Teen Council: Awards $300 scholarships to current 4-H'ers who are active in Teen Council: Bailee Gunnerson
Lincoln Center Kiwanis: Awards a $1,000 scholarship to current high school senior who is active in 4-H: Bailee Gunnerson
2018 4-H SENIORS: Jasmine Allen, Raina Anderson, Jacob Bajc, Katie Borcherding, Nathaniel Boyd, Ceaira Brandt, Joli Brown, Jett Burklund, Sayre Burnley, Isabella Chaffin, Ashley Clegg, Kate Cooper, Makenzie Dehning, Andrew Dilley, Grace Dowd, Danielle Drbal, Frank Egelhoff, Haley Fast, Alyssa Fisbeck, Anah Fuller, Valerie Gabel, Peter Greff, Bailee Gunnerson, Chloe Hallett, Emily Harms, Aubrey Hayes, Jaclyn Heinrich, Kaianna Hraban, Hailey Hula, Rose Ingracia, McKenzie Kapperman, Isaac Keachall, Cole Kepler, Anton Kerrigan, Jessica Kiefel, Lyle Killingsworth, Riley Kraus, Emma Krause, Emma Lanik, Jayme Litchfield, Kristen Loudon, Hailee Lynn, Christian Mazza, Cassie Merwick, Katelyn Miller, Allen Morsett, Lee Morsett, Michael Mueting, Emma Noel, Samuel Philson, Nicole Pickering, Dustin Platz, Hannah Reiter, Elizabeth Russman, Madison Schnase, Gracelyn Seevers, Madison Sobotka, Chase Stanley, Sophia Swanson, Caroline Thompson, Jenae Tilford, Mariana Tines, Jadin Vogler, Bethany Wachter, Caitlyn Walbrecht, Riley Weitz
3 YEAR MEMBERS: Carson Agnew, Tyler Akins, Jacob Bajc, Ryan Bajc, Zach Bales, John Barger, William Barger, Caitlyn Barry, Gavin Baum, Phaelin Baum, Emily Bauman, Briella Baumfalk, Emma Baumfalk, Keelyanna Baumfalk, Trentyn Beekman, Taryn Bell, Bayden Bell, Logan Benes, Ellie Bentjen, Moira Bivens, Tristen Boehle, Samuel Bogle, Elizabeth Boshart, Claire Bousquet, Emily Bousquet, Holly Bowen, Allison Brandl, Nicklas Brandt, Marianna Brasch, Ashley Brown, Mackenzie Brown, Auren Burkey, Rayley Burnside, Cole Butler, Acacia Carlson, Elise Chadwick, Hudson Chadwick, Camden Chaffin, Jocelyn Cobb, Jonathan Cook, Benjamin Copley, Madysen Cox, Joel Cunningham, Khloe Cuttlers, Hannah Dean, Haylea Dean, Elena Delagdo, Elijah Delhay, Rebekah Delhay, Solomon Delhay, Jeff Densberger, Bailey Docter, Dillon Docter, Sydney Docter, Tayler Docter, Catherine Dolezal, Bailey Donner, Cecilia Doty, Gianna Doty, Margaret Doty, Zoie Doxon, Jillian Drozda, Mya Dubas, Kaitlyn Dumler, Lily Dyer, Roy Egelhoff, Elaina Ferguson, Katie Fisher, Samantha Fox, Andrew Frain, Sophia Frank, Garrett Fransen, Shea Frink, Caroline Fulkerson, Scarlett Fulkerson, Ethan Gabel, Morgan Gabel, Wyatt Gallagher, Aidan Galusha, Nicole Gee, Emma Goeden, Hazel Goeden, Jake Greisen, Simon Greisen, Thomas Greisen, Gabriel Griffin, Ashley Gruber, Easton Gubbels, Rachel Haeffner, Samantha Hagaman, Clayton Hancock, Lydia Hancock, Lilly Hanley, Suzy Hanley, Benjamin Hanus, Isaac Hanus, Monica Hanus, Cyrus Harner, Jacob Harrison, Joseph Harrison, Kristen Harrison, Addisyn Haussler, Ella Hendricksen, Ben Hershberger, Miya Higgins, Kyra Hinrichs, Myah Hobelman, Avery Hollman, Hannah Hollman, Noah Hoover, Blaine Houlden, Cecilia Howell, Collin Howell, Jayan Hraban, Jaisah Huber, William Huggenberger, Ellie Hula, Elijah Hunter, Zach Ingracia, Alexis Isaacs, Josephine Ivy, Josephine Jansen, Joshua Jansen, Noah Jelinek, Anna Johnson, Cody Johnson, Gemma Johnson, Josie Johnson, Lillian Johnson, Madison Johnson, Regina Jordan, Tobias Jordan, Cali Kaiser, Nicole Keetle, Lauren Kelley, Cole Kepler, Anton Kerrigan, Grant Kerrigan, Isabelle Kinkaid, Brayden Korth, Adam Kramer, Eli Kramer, Jenna Kramer, June Krason, Emma Krause, Abigail Kreifels, Ezra Kubicek, Mattie Kucera, Kaelin Kuebler, Kamryn Kyhn, Logan Lambrecht, Renae Landon, Heather Lange, Sarah Lange, Samuel Lanik, Gianna LaPlante, Maria LaPlante, Mickayla Larsen, Mischa Lunquist, Torin Lynn, Liam MacDonald, Seanna MacDonald, Brooke Marquez, Meredith Marsh, Ella Mason, Christian Mazza, Louisa McConnell, Allyn McElwain, Alexa McInerney, Lydia McInerney, Chase McInteer, Tanner McInteer, Cassie Merwick, Matt Merwick, Nathan Minner, Cael Morris, McKenna Morris, Allison Morrow, Allen Morsett, Lee Morsett, James Neal, Frances Nebel, Magdalena Nelson, Meredith Nelson, Olivia Nelson, Thorine Nelson, Jayden Nyhoff, Kayden Nyhoff, Malina Odgaad, Natalie Olson, Xyairah Onuoha, Caroline Pageler, Sarah Patzel, Austin Perkins, Vanessa Peterson, Benjamin Phillips, Christopher Phillips, Josiah Phillips, Savannah Phillips, Nicole Pickering, Mason Pillard, Morgan Pillard, Brianna Pittman, Dustin Plautz, Catherine Polk, Micah Pracheil, Dana Rademacker, Hannah Reiter, Erin Reuter, Lilly Riedel, Allison Riedman, Callahn Robinson, John Rogers, London Rohlfs, Harper Rosenstiel, Gianna Russman, Sarah Schilmoeller, Ethan Schmidt, Tyler Schnase, Robert Schneider/Delgado, Brittyn Schutz, Brooklyn Schutz, Kalyn Schutz, Burke Settles, Jackson Settles, Lauren Shafer, Natalie Shafer, Layton Shaw, Taygon Shaw, Emmy Sheldon, Cameron Skeels, Sydney Skeels, Parker Smith, Preston Smith, Claire Sobansky, Henry Sobansky, Paul Sobansky, Josie Spann, Benjamin Springer, Audrey Srb, Jacalyn Srb, Julia Srb, Blake Stanley, Chase Stanley, Maureen Sughroue, Elizabeth Synek, Bryce Teut, Olivia Thompson, Claire Trausch, Rosalie Tvrdy, Chris Ugarcina, Alexis VanAsperen, Cora Vander Woude, Noah Vander Woude, Olivia Vanderford, Conner Vogel, Kamryn Wanser, Cadence Watson, Sasha Watson, Ethan Wemhoff, Anne Wies, Melanie Wiggins, Tyler Wilson, Olivia Wood, Anastasia Yallaly, Cecilia Yallaly, Hailey Zobel
2 YEAR LEADERS: Melissa Abele, Bailey Bernadt, Jessica Burnside, Emalea Dean, Kim Funk, Gayle Gengenbach, Heidi Hanley, Kari Hoeft, Tana Pageler, Ronald Polivka, Jami Spaulding, Scott Stanley, Megan Starner, James Tietjen, Mary Wittler
5 YEAR LEADER: Deloris Pittman
10 YEAR LEADERS: Pam Davis, Cheri Kraus
15 YEAR LEADERS: Laura Hardesty, Renee Heusinger
35 YEAR LEADER: Shirley Condon
NEBRASKA DIAMOND CLOVER PROGRAM
The Nebraska 4-H Diamond Clover Program is a statewide program which encourages 4-H members to engage in a variety of projects and activities. Every 4-H’er who participates can earn recognition! At the beginning of the 4-H year, youth choose goals from a provided list, and at the end of the 4-H year, complete a report which documents their accomplishments. Youth may progress from Level 1–6.
Level 1 - Amethyst: Noah Babcock, Sawyer Benne, Kaylee Boysen, Eva Elkins, Andrew Frain, Morgan Gabel, Preston Smith, Emma Thomson, Kamryn Wanser
Level 2 - Aquamarine: Jacob Bauman, Whitney Cunningham, Caroline Fulkerson, Ethan Gabel, Sarah Lange, Parker Smith, Hannah Thomson, Katie Timmer
Level 3 - Ruby: Clare Bauman, Aleyna Cuttlers, Riley Peterson, Pearce Smith, Emma Timmer
Level 4 - Sapphire: Samuel Babcock, Sarah Cunningham, Ella Hendricksen, Abigail Kreifels, Delaney Meyer, Eliese Schwinck
Level 5 - Emerald: Kali Burnham, Sara Kreikemeier, Katie Nepper
Level 6 - Diamond: Addison Wanser is the fourth 4-H’er in Lancaster County to receive this award! For her service-learning project titled, “Nourishing the NICU,” Addison created over 250 felt hearts for preemie babies and their mothers to help them bond. She made over 200 celebratory cards for nurses to put babies footprints on. In addition, Addison located sewers to sew 15 burial gowns and found a company interested in donating an additional 40 gowns.
NATIONAL LEADERSHIP AWARD
Each year, Lancaster County 4-H selects 4-H members to be awarded the National Leadership Award on behalf of the American Youth Foundation. Lancaster County 4-H Council pays the award fees. The award recognizes youth ages 15–18 who strive to be their personal best and make a positive difference in their schools, youth groups, 4-H clubs, and communities. Award recipients receive William H. Danforth’s motivational book, I Dare You!
Ellie Babcock, Thomas Cook, Valerie Gabel
DOG VERSATILITY AWARD
This Lancaster County Super Fair award is awarded to individuals who enter the same dog in obedience, showmanship, and agility and earns a ribbon in each area.
Liz Boshart, Kaitlyn Dumler, Maleah Jamison, Claire Mathis, Sidney Schlesiger, Alyssa Zimmer
ACCOMPLISHMENTS OF NOTE
ESI CAPITOL CONTEST:: In January 2017, Nebraska 4-H held its first ever ESI Capitol Contest which is focused on the EntrepreneurShip Investigation curriculum project. Twelve 4-H youth from across the state participated, including one from Lancaster County. Lilly Riedel — her business is upcycling people clothes into doll clothes and accessories.
COMPANION ANIMAL CHALLENGE:: Several Lancaster County 4-H’ers participated in the statewide Companion Animal Challenge. The following received purple ribbons:
- Intermediate Dog Skill-a-thon: Lauren Lilienthal (champion), Taylor Root (reserve champion), Kaitlyn Dumler
- Intermediate Art Contest: Emma Timmer (champion), Katie Timmer (reserve champion), Kaitlyn McCrackin
- Senior Art Contest: Elisabeth Moyer (reserve champion)
- Intermediate Photography Contest: Kaitlyn McCrackin (champion), Emma Timmer (reserve champion)
- Intermediate Demonstrations Team: Taylor Root and Maleah Jamison (champion) (received blue ribbons)
Several Lancaster County 4-H’ers participated in the Southeast Regional Speech and Public Service Announcement (PSA) Contests. The following received purple ribbons. The top five in each division received medals.
- Junior Speech: Avery Lockridge (medal), Sarah Lange, Melanie Wiggins
- Intermediate Speech: Grace Spaulding (medal), Autumn Brester, Kylie Hansen
- strong>Senior Speech: Ashley Clegg, Addison Wanser
- Junior PSA: Melanie Wiggins (medal)
- Intermediate PSA: Ella Hendricksen (medal), Riley Peterson (medal), Eliese Schwinck
STATE FAIR PRESENTATIONS CONTEST
The following youth represented Lancaster County at the State Fair Presentations Contest: *Indicates purple ribbon at state.
Presentations: Ellie Babcock* (Top Illustrated Presentation), Samuel Babcock* (1st for Illustrated Presentations - Special Topic for Nebraska Agriculture - Food Preparation), Clare Bauman* (Premier Presenter), Lillian Johnson* (Premier Presenter), Lilly Riedel, Philip Rushman*
4-H FilmFest: Riley Peterson
COMPANION ANIMAL CHALLENGE
Several Lancaster County 4-H’ers participated in the statewide Companion Animal Challenge. The following received purple ribbons:
- Maleah Jamison, Emma Timmer, Emely Troy — Intermediate Quiz Bowl Team (Champion)
- Bethany Wachter — Senior Dog Skill-a-thon (Champion)
- Maleah Jamison — Intermediate Dog Skill-a-thon
- Emely Troy and Maleah Jamison — Intermediate Team Demonstration (Champion – blue)
PASE/LIFE CHALLENGE CONTESTS
Premier Animal Science Events (PASE): In this statewide contest, teens test their skills in animal science. Thank you Roger Bell for coaching the livestock judging teams.
- Livestock Judging senior team of Isabella Chaffin, Cole Cooper, Dylan Hafer and Adam Oldemeyer — earned 5th overall team, 2nd overall in reasons, 4th overall in sheep and goats, 5th overall in swine and 5th overall in beef cattle.
- Adam Oldemeyer — 4th place high overall reasons
- Dylan Hafer — 10th place high individual overall sheep
- Poultry Judging contest: Linara Carlson (5th place individual)
Life Challenge: In this statewide contest, teens test their skills in family and consumer sciences.
- Team of Ellie Babcock, Nora Clarke, Julia Stephenson and Anna Sump — Foods & Nutrition Challenge: 1st place • Entrepreneurship Challenge: 2nd place for best overall presentation and “Price & Finance” and “Fan Favorite” awards Design Challenge: “Best Use of Design to Tell a Story” award
- Team of Abby Babcock, Valerie Gabel, Emma Lanik and Emma Noel — Entrepreneurship Challenge: 1st place for best overall presentation Foods & Nutrition Challenge: 3rd place
- Team of Emma Timmer, John Sump, David Swotek and Eliese Schwinck — Entrepreneurship Challenge: “Best Marketing Concept” award
STATE FAIR TOP PLACINGS:
- Ellie Babcock — Tree ID contest senior team 4th place, Quilt Quest premier quilt class winner — long arm quilted — computerized
- Cole Cooper — Sheep - Hampshire market lamb champion, senior sheep showmanship champion
- Nathan Gabel — Tree ID contest senior team 4th place
- Bailee Gunnerson — Rabbit Flemish Giant best of breed and best opposite
- Jaclyn Heinrich — Swine senior showmanship 2nd place, Premier Exhibitor contest 3rd place
- Madelaine Polk — Tree ID contest senior team 4th place
- Lorralee Schroeder — Video Cat Showmanship contest senior champion
- Emely Troy — Dog Obedience novice reserve champion
- Caitlyn Walbrecht — Beef Foundation Simmental grand champion and reserve supreme champion breeding heifer
STATE FAIR FASHION SHOW & SHOPPING IN STYLE: The following youth represented Lancaster County at the State Fair Fashion Show. *Indicates purple ribbon at state:
- Fashion Show: Ellie Babcock*, Kali Burnham, Chloe Hammond*, Emily Pillard*, Mariana Tines
- Shopping in Style: Clara Johnson
CLOTHING/HOME ENVIRONMENT SPECIAL SELECTIONS:
- Selected for display at the Robert Hillestad Textile Gallery at UNL, Sept. 2017: Sarah Dilley (Home Environment - rubber band poodle), Ellie Babcock (Quilt Quest - park bench quilt).
- Selected to show in the 4-H Collection at Omaha Fashion Week, Feb. 27, 2018: Ellie Babcock (STEAM 3 - gray/pink gown), Kali Burnham (STEAM 2 - gray dress), Chloe Hammond - Alternate (STEAM 3 - orange gown)
PHOTOGRAPHY SPECIAL SELECTIONS:
- Photograph selected for display at UNL Animal Science Department: Emmi Dearmont (chicken close-up), Laurel Frogge (horse), Clara Johnson (cat)
- Lucy Polk — (photo of pony and cat) selected for display at UNL Animal Science Department
- Photograph selected for display at UNL CASNR and Extension Dean’s Offices: Sophia Polk (ice on blue spruce)
AK-SAR-BEN 4-H SHOW TOP PLACINGS:
The AKSARBEN 4-H Stock and Horse Shows have competitors from eight states. The following local youth earned purple ribbons.
- Ellie Bunz — Horse junior western showmanship (champion), Horse junior western pleasure (3rd place)
- Cole Cooper — Market lamb, market lamb showmanship
- Aubrey Hayes — Horse senior clover leaf barrel racing (3rd place), Horse senior pole bending (3rd place), Horse senior western showmanship (3rd place), Horse senior western pleasure (4th place)
- Jaclyn Heinrich — Market swine showmanship
- Olivia Kerrigan — Swine
- Caitlyn Walbrecht — Breeding beef showmanship
NATIONAL HORSE COMPETITION
This January, several Lancaster County 4-H horse youth represented Nebraska at the National 4-H Horse Classic at the 4-H/FFA Western National Roundup in Denver, Colorado.
- Lancaster County Horse Quiz Bowl team of Ashley Clegg, Kate Cooper, Aussia Stander and Jenna Wolfe (coached by Kate Rawlinson) earned overall 3rd place.
- Aussia Stander placed overall 2nd individually.