A celebration of the Lancaster County 4-H Year
4-H Achievement Celebration
Nebraska Extension in Lancaster County and 4-H Council presented the Lancaster County 4-H Achievement Celebration on Feb. 9. 4-H'ers, 4-H clubs and 4-H leaders were recognized for their 2015 achievements. Lancaster County 4-H congratulates all 4-H youth who commit themselves to excellence! We also thank all 4-H volunteers who donate their time and talents to youth!
- 4-H Achievement Celebration Photos on Flickr
- Lancaster County 4-H 2015 Year in Review video on YouTube
- Lancaster County Commissioners' "4-H Achievement Day" Proclamation
- Master of Ceremonies — Sharlyn Sieck
- Programs distributed by Clever Clovers
- Pledges led by Joe’s Clover Knights
- Proclamation read by County Commissioner Todd Wiltgen
- Alumni speakers: Chris & Sara Hansen, Clever Clover 4-H Leaders
COMMUNITY SERVICE AWARDS
Presented to 4-H'ers who have completed the most hours of community service. Award recipients receive a $30 Activity Certificate from Lancaster County 4-H Council redeemable towards 4-H activities and supplies.
Age 14 and over: Abigail Babcock, Morgan Bodfield, Christopher Bonifant, Valerie Gabel, Bailee Gunnerson, Austin Hurt, Kyle Hurt, Brooke Kreikemeier, Emma Lanik, Lucy Polk, Bethany Wachter, Addison Wanser, Maxwell Wanser, Alyssa Zimmer
Age 13 and under: Ellie Babcock, Samuel Babcock, Sophia Bonifant, Holly Bowen, Cassie Brown, Thomas Cook, Nathan Gabel, Clara Johnson, Mischa Lunquist, Nettie Lunquist, David Swotek, John Swotek, Alexa Tremblay, Kamryn Wanser
Career Portfolios are a record of an individual's 4-H career. It includes a record of personal growth and leadership experiences related to the knowledge learned, skills gained, and community service/volunteer activities experienced through 4-H. Award recipients receive a $30 Activity Certificate from Lancaster County 4-H Council redeemable towards 4-H activities and supplies.
Career Portfolio Recipients:
- Abigail Babcock, Ellie Babcock, Clare Bauman, Aleyna Cuttlers, Kayla Humphrey: Completed a Career Portfolio
- Abigail Babcock: Consumer & Family Science
- Ellie Babcock: Consumer & Family Science
- Kayla Humphrey: Communication & Expressive Arts
Nominated to represent Lancaster County at District competition:
- Kayla Humphrey: Consumer & Family Science
- Abigail Babcock: Healthy Lifestyles Education
- Lucy Polks: Animal Science
DOG VERSATILITY AWARD
This Lancaster County Super Fair award is awarded to individuals who enter the same dog in obedience, showmanship, and agility and earns a ribbon in each area.
Peggy Delancey, Ella Guerra, Kalea Harwood, Kalli Honnor, Sidney Schlesiger, Emely Troy, Bethany Wachter
NEBRASKA DIAMOND CLOVER PROGRAM
The Nebraska 4-H Diamond Clover Program is a statewide program which encourages 4-H members to engage in a variety of projects and activities. Every 4-H'er who participates can earn recognition! At the beginning of the 4-H year, youth choose goals from a provided list, and at the end of the 4-H year, complete a report which documents their accomplishments. Youth can progress from Level 1 up to Level 6.
Level 1 - Amethyst: Lilian Bogle, Samuel Bogle, Michaela Bunz, Hannah Dean, Haylea Dean, Karsyn Dice, John Donlan, Zoie Doxon, Jillian Drozda, Caroline Fortenberry, Christine Fortenberry, Anika Futo, Meredith Gaura, Easton Gubbels, Clayton Hancock, Lydia Hancock, Benjamin Hanus, Cyrus Harner, Clara Johnson, Sarah Lange, Mischa Lunquist, Nettie Lunquist, Evan Merrell, Allison Morrow, Madilyn Morrow, Sean Neal, Natalie Olson, Brianna Pittman, Zachary Pittman, Lilly Riedel, Lily Russman, Linsey Sheldon, Pearce Smith, Audrey Srb
Level 2 - Aquamarine: Samuel Babcock, Jonathan Cook, Aleyna Cuttlers, Grace Gordon, Alyson Gubbels, Monica Hanus, Ella Hendricksen, Luke Johnson, Abigail Kreifels, Heather Lange, Gemma Larsen, Delaney Meyer, Thomas Neal, Claire Sobansky, Claire Wackel
Level 3 - Ruby:Chloe Bohaty, John Boesen, Kali Burnham, Thomas Cook, Sydney Gubbels, Grant Johnson, Sara Kreikemeier, Megan Neal, Riley Peterson, Eliese Schwinck
Level 4 - Sapphire: Madelaine Polk, Abbie Russman, Anna Sump, John Sump
Level 5 - Emerald: Kayla Humphrey, Lucy Polk
Level 6 - Diamond: Maxwell Wanser
NEBRASKA 4-H CLUBS OF EXCELLENCE
Nebraska 4-H Clubs of Excellence have met the criteria outlined by the State 4-H Office to be considered a "Club of Excellence." Some of the criteria includes: choose/elect youth officers, have one club project they do together, and complete one community service project.
4-H Explorers (Karol Swotek, leader), All-American Kids (Amber Herrick Timmer, leader), Clever Clovers (Chris and Sara Hansen, co-leaders), Fantastic 4 (Jennifer Smith, leader), Five Star 4-H’ers (Pamela Cuttlers and Tammy Sheldon, co-leaders), Fusion 4-H’ers (Marsha Prior, leader), Go Go Goat Getters (Karol Swotek, leader), Joe’s Clover Knights (Anne Johnson, leader), Paws & Pals (Stephanie Wachter, leader), Rabbits R Us (Brandy Gunnerson and Mark Hurt, co-leaders), Rock Creek Ranchers (Shari Becker, leader), Star City Cornhuskers (Stephanie Polk, leader), Super Shamrocks (Connie Kreikmeier, leader)
OUTSTANDING 4-H CLUBS
To encourage participation in the county fair, Lincoln Center Kiwanis Club awards traveling trophies to the top 4-H clubs participating in the Lancaster County Super Fair. One category winner is awarded the Wayne C. Farmer memorial cup as the overall Outstanding 4-H Club for the year. Clubs receive points based on all members' total county fair exhibit and contest placings. The Outstanding 4-H Clubs were also recognized at a Kiwanis meeting.
Category I (membership of 5-10 members) & winner of the Wayne C. Farmer Memorial Cup: Fusion 4-H’ers (Leader: Marsha Prior)
Category II (membership of 11-14): The Egg Basket (Leader: Diane Merrell)
Category III (membership of 15 or more): Rabbits R Us (Leader: Brandy Gunnerson and Mark Hurt)
NATIONAL LEADERSHIP AWARD
Each year, Lancaster County 4-H selects 4-H members to be awarded National Leadership Awards (formerly I Dare You awards) on behalf of the American Youth Foundation. Lancaster County 4-H Council pays the award fees. The award recognizes youth ages 15–18 who strive to be their personal best and make a positive difference in their schools, youth groups, 4-H clubs, and communities. Award recipients receive William H. Danforth's motivational book I Dare You! Winners: Abigail Babcock, Alyssa Zimmer
OUTSTANDING 4-H MEMBERS
Presented to individuals 14 years of age or older who have excelled in his/her involvement with the Lancaster County 4-H program. Selection is based on participation in a wide variety – and depth of – 4-H activities.
Winner: Sheridan Swotek
4-H MERITORIOUS SERVICE
Presented to individuals or organizations who have exhibited consistent and strong support of the Lancaster County 4-H program: Kendra Ronnau
The Lancaster County 4-H program offers a variety of college scholarships to active senior 4-H members.
Lancaster County 4-H Council: Awards $700 scholarships to active Lancaster County 4-H'ers: Ashtyn Cooper, Katelyn Erdkamp, Kayla Humphrey, Alyssa Jensen, Sydni Lienemann, Nicole McConnell, Sheridan Swotek
4-H Teen Council: Awards $300 scholarships to current 4-H'ers who are active in Teen Council: Justin Muehling, Sheridan Swotek
Lincoln Center Kiwanis: Awards a $1,000 scholarship to current high school senior who is active in 4-H: Justin Hennessy
2016 4-H SENIORS: Daniel Albin, McKenzie Beach, Hannah Bellinghausen, Bailey Bernadt, Ellie Blake, Paige Borcherding, Josie Borgman, Ashley Bradbury, Isaiah Brown, Allysa Catt, Morgan Chipps, Lydia Clarke, Ashtyn Cooper, Christy Cooper, Holly Cushman, Dexter Drbal, Kathryn Egelhoff, Katelyn Erdkamp, Mikara Feit, Peyton Goracke, Isaac Haeffner, Ben Harms, Justin Harper, Eric Hayward, Justin Hennessy, Mia Hermanson, Kayla Humphrey, Alyssa Jensen, Trevor Jensen, Molly Kasparek, Aubrey Kelley, Emily Kuhl, Samantha Langdon, Sydni Lienemann, Mikayla Lonowski, Anthony Masinelli, Nicole McConnell, Jenna Mohrmann, Justin Muehling, Destiny Nickel, Spencer Peters, Alexis Philson, Colby Reffert, Elizabeth Robinett, Christy Smith, Mazzii Snyder, Sheridan Swotek, Charlotte Tvrdy, Dorothy Urbanovsky, Leah Vorderstrasse, Lexi Wolfe, Emmaly Wright, Michael Zavodny
3 YEAR MEMBERS: Nicole Ackland, Amber Arnold, Abigail Baack, Noah Babcock, Mindy Bartels, Clare Bauman, Jacob Bauman, Dillon Beach, Lillie Beach, Toby Becker, Lucas Beckman, Ben Blankenau, Brayden Boehle, Tristen Boehle, John Boesen, Lilian Bogle, Ceaira Brandt, Kali Burnham, Emily Burnside, Isabel Buss, Abigail Cantrell, Wade Carlson, William Carlson, Emily Cashmere, Karli Consbruck, Anna Cooper, Samuel Copley, Ella Cowan, Crystal Craft, Jessica Craft, Evelyn Dahlman, Emmi Dearmont, Peggy DeLancey, Andrew Deter, John Donlan, Frank Egelhoff, Katelyn Erdkamp, Eva Erickson, Celia Faith, Alexandria Fonck, Caroline Fortenberry, Madelyn Fritz, Sidney Froistad, Sedonah Fryda, Claire Gansemer, Kate Gansemer, Sophie Gengenbach, Adalyssa Gotschall, Jadyn Greisen, Ella Guerra, Bailey Hampton, Kylie Hansen, Kyan Harwood, Lauren Hershberger, Carter Ibsen, Maleah Jamison, Kayla Johnson, Vana Knezevic, Katharine Kramer, Lydia Kramer, Daniel Krause, Sara Kreikemeier, John Paul LaPlante, Kamber Lechtenberg, Kianu Liska, Alyssa Loudon, Katherine Malina, Kali Maytum, Savanna McCombs, William McConnell, Rhianna Metcalf, Ben Meyer, Benjamin Meyer, Haley Minner, Ruby Molini, Gianna Morris, Connor Nielsen, Faith Oldemeyer, Calin Ortiz, Dylan Perkins, Riley Peterson, Zach Pittman, Sophia Polk, Kacey Porter, Ally Quinn, Joseph Rager, Samuel Reif, Jackson Reiter, Kelsey Reuter, Mackenzie Robles, Mary Lily Russman, William Schafer, Janna Schmidt, Eliese Schwinck, Abagail Scott, Adam Smith, Carter Smith, Mazzii Snyder, Andrew Sondgeroth, Kaleb Sorge, Julia Soukup, Grace Spaulding, Alexa Starner, Lydia Teegerstrom, Hadley Teut, Alexzandra Tremblay, Emely Troy, Stella Uiterwaal, Arielle Anne Umphreys, Ayla VanAsperen, Kaitlyn Vander Woude, Anthony Vinton, Carmen Vrbka, Claire Wackel, Graciana Wahnee, Brianna Wemhoff, Madison Wemhoff, Odyssey Wentz, Hunter Wever, Emma Jo Whaley, Zoey Williams, Taylor Woods, Kalob Worm, Ryan Yakel, Michael Zavodny
2 YEAR LEADERS: Adam Bauman, Megan Bauman, Troy Bernadt, Amie Callahan, Pam Cuttlers, Dean Fayda, Carmen Goeden, Trina Goeden, Sara Gotschall, Kaiya Green, Rhonda Griess, Rusty Hanley, Amber Herrick Timmer, Andrea Howell, Scott Howell, Brianna Jensen, Amy Johnson, Jenny Johnson, Justin Johnson, Craig Keaschall, Lynn Kinkaid, Shane Krause, Bill Lange, Craig Manson, Daniel McElwain, Bradley Philson, Jill Riley, Leanna Schlesiger, Tammy Sheldon, Jodi Sterns, John Struwe, Lucinda Uhing
5 YEAR LEADER: Bridget Bogle, Pam Davis, Tera Heidbrink, Kellie Hollman Gallagher, Linda Thompson, Stephanie Wachter
10 YEAR LEADERS: Kelly Brown, Mark Hurt, Angie McClelland, Jennifer Rawlinson, Jennifer Smith
15 YEAR LEADERS: Lynn Albin, Linda Meyer
35 YEAR LEADER: Marilyn Schepers
ACCOMPLISHMENTS OF NOTE
NATIONAL HORSE COMPETITION
This January, several Lancaster County 4-H horse youth represented Nebraska at the National 4-H Horse Classic at the 4-H/FFA Western National Roundup in Denver, Colorado.
- Lancaster County Judging Team — 7th High Overall, 5th High Team Performance, 6th High Team Reasons | Nicole Ackland (17th high individual), Katelyn Erdkamp (15th high individual) and Madison Sobotka — Coached by Roger Bell
- Team Nebraska — 3rd High Overall State Award consisting of 4-H’ers from Lancaster, Sarpy and Dawson Counties
Several Lancaster County 4-H’ers participated in the Southeast Regional Speech and Public Service Announcement (PSA) Contests. The following received purple ribbons. The top five in each division received medals.
- Senior Speech: Sheridan Swotek (medal)
- Junior Speech: Sarah Lange
- Junior PSA: Riley Peterson (medal)
- Intermediate PSA: David Swotek (medal), Ella Hendricksen
- Senior PSA: Sheridan Swotek (medal)
State Fair Presentations Contest: The following youth represented Lancaster County at the State Fair Presentations Contest. *Indicates purple ribbon at state:
- Abigail Babcock* (Outstanding 4-H FilmFest Presenter)
- Rose Ingracia* (Premier Presenter Contest)
- Abigail Babcock (also presented an Illustrated Presentation), Ellie Babcock, Addison Wanser
PASE/LIFE CHALLENGE CONTESTS
Premier Animal Science Events (PASE): In this statewide contest, teens test their skills in animal science.
- Livestock Judging Senior Team: Katelyn Erdkamp, Sydni Lienemann, Spencer Peters and Renae Sieck — 10th overall team, 4th overall in reasons, 10th overall in sheep and goats and 9th overall in beef cattle | Renae Sieck — 1st place overall reasons | Skylar Lienemann — 7th place overall beef
- Livestock Judging Intermediate Team: Cole Cooper, Rachel Lange and Riley Scott — 4th high team, 8th in beef, 4th in sheep/goats and 6th in swine. | Riley Scott — 10th place high individual overall and 10th place overall reasons | Rachel Lange — 8th place overall reasons | Cole Cooper — 7th place overall sheep and goats
Life Challenge: In this statewide contest, teens test their skills in family and consumer sciences.
- Abigail Babcock, Emma Lanik, Anna Sump and Sheridan Swotek — 4th place in the Foods and Nutrition Challenge.
- Abigail Babcock, Ellie Babcock, Grace Dowd and Anna Sump — 3rd place in the Healthy Living Skillathon.
- Joshua Dowd and Peter Greff — “Most Creative” in the Entrepreneurial Challenge
- Valerie Gabel, Emma Lanik and Lily Noel — “Best Teamwork” in the Entrepreneurial Challenge
STATE FAIR TOP PLACINGS:
- Abigail Babcock — Horticulture Contests (Senior 6th place individual)
- Ellie Babcock — Horticulture Contests (Intermediate 7th place individual)
- Nathan Becker — Interview Contest (purple ribbon)
- Ashtyn Cooper — Market Beef Crossbred Steers (1st place)
- Cole Cooper — Intermediate Sheep Showmanship (2nd place)
- Jaclyn Heinrich — Senior Swine Showmanship (3rd place)
- Taylor Nielsen — Interview Contest (5th place)
- Madelyn Scott — Market Sheep Crossbred Market Lambs (2nd place)
- Riley Scott — Intermediate Sheep Showmanship (1st place)
- Anna Sump — Large Animal Display ( Top Vet Science)
STATE FAIR FASHION SHOW & SHOPPING IN STYLE: The following youth represented Lancaster County at the State Fair Fashion and Shopping in Style Contests. *Indicates purple ribbon at state:
- Fashion Show: Emily Pillard*, Jaime Stephenson, Mariana Tines*, Haley Zabel*
- Shopping in Style: Chloe Hammond
CLOTHING SPECIAL SELECTIONS:
- Ellie Babcock’s Beyond the Needle – Garment Constructed from Original Designed Fabric (made from fabric she wove on a loom) was selected for display at the Robert Hillestand Textile Gallery on UNL East Campus Oct. 12–Nov. 14, 2015.
- Emma Lanik’s Beyond the Needle – Textile Arts Garment or Accessory (made from VHS tape) was selected to show in the 4-H Collection at Omaha Fashion Week March 15, 2016.
PHOTOGRAPHY SPECIAL SELECTIONS:
- Emmi Dearmont — (photo of rooster) selected for display in the UNL Animal Science Department
- Philip Hanigan — (photo of sunflower) selected for display in CASNR and Extension Dean’s Office
AK-SAR-BEN 4-H SHOW TOP PLACINGS:
The AKSARBEN 4-H Stock and Horse Shows have competitors from eight states. The following local youth earned purple ribbons.
- Ashtyn Cooper — Market Beef Showmanship (3rd Place), Market Beef
- Cole Cooper — Market Lamb
- Kylie Gana — Market Swine
- Isabella Gerlach — Horse Junior Western Pleasure (3rd Place)
- Aubrey Hayes — Horse Junior English Equitation (Res. Champion)
- Brett Heinrich — Swine
- Jaclyn Heinrich — Market Swine Showmanship (3rd Place), Market Swine
- Grace Kim — Horse Senior English Showmanship (Champion), Horse Senior English Equitation
- Cassie Meyer — Horse Junior Ranch Horse Pleasure (Champion), Horse Junior Western Horsemanship (3rd Place), Dairy
- Madelyn Scott — Market Lamb Showmanship, Market Goat
- Riley Scott — Market Lamb
- Allison Walbrecht — Breeding Beef Showmanship, Breeding Beef
- Caitlyn Walbrecht — Mainetainer Breeding Heifer (Champion), Supreme Champion Breeding Heifer (4th Place)
- Heather Welch — Horse Senior English Pleasure