Topics related to birds & their management
Helping Nebraskans enhance their lives through research-based education.
The information on this Web site is valid for residents of southeastern Nebraska. It may or may not apply in your area. If you live outside southeastern Nebraska, visit your local Extension office
Featured Bird: Black-capped Chickadee. These cute little birds are very curious but are usually heard before they are seen. Black-capped chickadees can be found in any tree/brush/shrub location. They are easily attracted to feeding stations - use suet, sunflower, peanuts. They don’t mind using tiny hanging feeders that swing in the wind, and also readily visit window feeders. Have you heard a chickadee in your neighborhood lately? Find information and listen to all the sounds they make HERE.
- Winter Bird Feeding - Recommended! (Cornell Univ.)
- Backyard Wildlife: Feeding Birds - Recommended! (UNL)
- Give Bird Feeding a Try This Year - October 2011 NEBLINE
- Make Your Own Suet - NEBLINE Article (photos!)
- Attracting & Feeding Songbirds
- Selective Bird Feeding: Deterring Nuisance Wildlife from Bird Feeders (UNL)
- Bird Feeder Pests & Predators (Cornell Univ.)
- Put Your Christmas Tree to Good Use
Attracting Birds & Bird Identification:
- All About Birds. Cornell Univ.
- Attracting Baltimore Orioles
- Avian Flu - Center for Disease Control
- Birds of Nebraska Identification Guide. Nebraska Game & Parks Commission
- FeederCam. Cornell Univ.
- Migratory Bird Treaty Act Protects All Native Birds
- Nebraska Bird Library
- Nest box Cam - American Kestral. Nebraska Game & Parks Commission
- Nest box Cam - Barn Owls (Active now) Cornell Univ.
Raptor Awareness: The World Bird Sanctuary brought birds to the 2011 earth wellness festival. Students learned about several different raptors during their sessions.
Bird Habitat & Houses:
- Backyard Wildlife: Bird Houses & Shelves
- Build a Bluebird House
- Build a Nestbox to Attract Birds
- Getting Robins to Stay
- Gourd Birdhouses (Youth Activity)
- Landscape Plants for Wildlife (.pdf)
- Landscape Plants that Attract Birds
- Planting for Habitat
- Water is for the Birds
Bird Nuisance Behaviors:
- Bird Exlusion: Lines, Wires & Hoop Devices
- Canada Geese
- Dispersal of Blackbirds, Crows and Starlings from Urban Roosts
- Human Diseases & Wildlife
- Springtime Bird FAQ's
- Social Bird FAQ's
- Woodpecker Damage, Prevention & Control (Cornell Univ.)
- Contacts: Wildlife Agencies in Lincoln & Lancaster County, Nebraska
- How to Select a Pest Control Company
- UNL Extension Publications Index
- Prevention & Control of Wildlife Damage Handbook
- Internet Center for Wildlife Damage
Find more information on birds in the NEBLINE Newsletter. Search this Site to find articles.
Contact InformationUniversity of Nebraska-Lincoln
in Lancaster County
Web site: lancaster.unl.edu
444 Cherrycreek Road, Suite A,
Lincoln, NE 68528