- Youth Horticulture
- Lawn & Garden
- Lancaster Co. 4-H Home
- Find Your Local Office
"4-H is a community of young people across America learning leadership, citizenship and life skills."
Make a Scarecrow
- 6 ft. long 2x4 wood
- 2 ft. long 2x4 wood
- white pillow case
- old shirt
- old pants or overalls
- old hat
- old gloves
1. To make the scarecrow frame, nail the 2 ft. long 2x4 to the 6 ft. long 2x4 to form a cross. Dig a one foot deep hole and place wood frame in the hole and pack the soil firmly around the frame.
2. Draw a face on one side of the white pillow case, near the center. Stuff pillow case with newspaper. Place pillow case head on top of frame and tie shut with twine.
3. Tie pant legs closed with twine. Stuff pants full with newspaper. Nail pants to frame.
4. Put shirt on frame, button shirt half way closed. Tie sleeve cuffs and waist closed with twine. Stuff shirt with newspaper. Button shirt closed.
5. Put gloves, scarf and hat on scarecrow.
University of Nebraska-Lincoln Extension in Lancaster County is your on-line yard and garden educational resource. The information on this Web site is valid for residents of southeastern Nebraska. It may or may not apply in your area. If you live outside southeastern Nebraska, visit your local Extension office
Contact Information University of Nebraska-Lincoln in Lancaster County
Web site: lancaster.unl.edu
444 Cherrycreek Road, Suite A, Lincoln, NE 68528 | 402-441-7180