Youth Gardening is Fun & Educational!
Resources for 4-H Plant Science Contests at the Lancaster County & Nebraska State Fairs.
2014 Nebraska 4-H Online Horticulture Judging Contest:
The 2014 Nebraska 4-H Online Horticulture Judging Contest is available from June 16th at 1:00 a.m. until June 23rd at midnight. It is composed of three parts; general knowledge questions, plant part and seed identification, as well as a judging portion. It is open to all 4-H youth, as well as adults. The password is ‘Nebraska’ and the two links listed below will take you directly to the contest.
Please have the youth fill in all of their information completely. The online contest should only be taken once by each participant, if it is taken multiple times the first score entered will be the one used. No study materials are to be used while taking the test. The contest will allow an opportunity for the participant to review the answers prior to submitting. Once submitted, the participants will see their score, but they will not be able to see which questions they missed. After the contest has ended, the participants can request to see their scores and their answers.
Study Materials for the Online Horticulture Judging Contest and the State 4-H Horticulture Judging Contest held during State Fair are the same and they can be found at: http://4h.unl.edu/documents/466759/5459542/14HortIDContest.pdf/b2bc457a-3576-41b1-ac9c-718af04a6922
Lancaster County Super Fair & Nebraska State Fair Plant Science Resources:
4-H members and volunteers should use these plant lists/photos and resources to help prepare for Lancaster County Super Fair and Nebraska State Fair Contests.
- 4-H & FFA Fair Forms, Fair book, Resources, Maps, Photos/Results
- Selecting and Preparing Vegetables, Herbs, and Fruit or Exhibits at County Fairs and the Nebraska State Fair
- Preparing Cut Flowers for Exhibits at County Fairs and the Nebraska State Fair
- Showing Flowers and Vegetables at the Lancaster County Super Fair
- NebGuide G1853 "Propagating House Plants" includes a list of includes a listing of common houseplants found in Nebraska
State 4-H Horticulture contest study material - For the general knowledge exam:
ID EXAMPLES & PHOTOS
Flowers and Indoor Plants:
Fruits, Nuts, and Berries:
References for Written Exam and Judging Sections.
- Vegetable chapter, National Junior Horticultural Association Study guide. http://njha.org/projects_hortid_vegetables.html
- Everyone a Gardener! University of Nebraska-Lincoln Extension 4-H Publication 4H334
- Growing Great Houseplants. University of Nebraska Lincoln Extension 4-H Publication 4-H418
- All About Annual Flowers. University of Nebraska Lincoln Extension Publication EC12-61-77
- Selecting and Preparing Vegetables, Herbs and Fruits for Exhibit. University of Nebraska-Lincoln Extension 4-H Publication 4H226
- Judging Horticultural Products Section, National Junior Horticultural Association Study guide. http://njha.org/projects_hortid_judging.html
Grass, Forb, Crop and Weed ID Contest:
All grass and weed plants on the list are described in either the Weeds of the Great Plains (published by Nebraska Department of Agriculture, (402) 471-2394, Cost: $25.00) or in Common Grasses of Nebraska, EC170, (published by the University of Nebraska-Lincoln Extension, http://www.ianrpubs.unl.edu, Cost: $5.00). There is not currently a crop identification guide available.
Tree ID Contest:
Check Out These Web Sites!
- Lancaster County 4-H
- UNL Extension in Lancaster County Horticulture Resources
- Nebraska 4-H
- National Junior Horticulture Association
- Yuckiest Site on the Internet
- Science 4 Kids! - Agricultural Research Service (ARS)
Find more of UNL Extension in Lancaster County on:
...friend us! join us! check out all our social media sites here.