Youth Gardening is Fun & Educational!
Resources for 4-H Plant Science Contests at the Lancaster County & Nebraska State Fairs.
2015 Nebraska 4-H Online Horticulture Judging Contest:
Nebraska 4-H is offering an online Horticulture Judging Contest at http://www.proprofs.com/quiz-school/story.php?title=2010-nebraska-horticulture-judging-contest. The contest tests your knowledge in three areas; identification, judging, and general knowledge. The quiz will be available June 10, 8 a.m. to June 20, 8 a.m. The password is 'Nebraska'.
Please have the youth fill in all of their information completely. The online contest should only be taken once by each participant, if it is taken multiple times the first score entered will be the one used. No study materials are to be used while taking the test. The contest will allow an opportunity for the participant to review the answers prior to submitting. Once submitted, the participants will see their score, but they will not be able to see which questions they missed. After the contest has ended, the participants can request to see their scores and their answers.
Lancaster County Super Fair & Nebraska State Fair Plant Science Resources:
4-H members and volunteers should use these plant lists/photos and resources to help prepare for Lancaster County Super Fair and Nebraska State Fair Contests.
- 4-H & FFA Fair Forms, Fair book, Resources, Maps, Photos/Results
- Selecting and Preparing Vegetables, Herbs, and Fruit or Exhibits at County Fairs and the Nebraska State Fair - Nebraska 4-H
- Preparing Cut Flowers for Exhibits at County Fairs and the Nebraska State Fair
- Showing Flowers and Vegetables at the Lancaster County Super Fair
- NebGuide G1853 "Propagating House Plants" includes a list of includes a listing of common houseplants found in Nebraska
Identification Examples & Photos
Grass, Forb, Crop and Weed ID Contest:
All grass and weed plants on the list are described in either the Weeds of the Great Plains (published by Nebraska Department of Agriculture, (402) 471-2394, Cost: $25.00) or in Common Grasses of Nebraska, EC170, (published by the Nebraska Extension, http://extensionpubs.unl.edu/, Cost: $5.00). There is not currently a crop identification guide available.
Tree ID Contest: