Helping Nebraskans enhance their lives through research-based education.
Cleaning for Holiday Guests
Submitted by Lorene Bartos, UNL Extension Educator
As we prepare for the holidays and try to get all the last minute cleaning and decorating done we want our home to be welcoming to the guests with the least amount of stress.
Make the guest room, bathroom, and powder room guest-ready by giving them a thorough cleaning to remove dust, grime, mold, and mildew. Once that is done, here are some other things you can do to insure your guests are cozy and comfortable.
In the bedroom:
* Spend the night in your own guest room. It's the best way to find out if it is comfortable and equipped with what a guest will need. Essentials include a good reading lamp, a box of tissues, an alarm clock, a nightlight, and a mirror.
* Be sure all bed linens are clean and in good condition. Replace anything worn, including pillows and mattress covers.
* Clean out the closet and add empty hangers so guests have a place to hang their clothes.
* Some guests like to unpack completely, while others prefer to live out of their suitcases. Prepare for both options by providing an empty drawer and a flat surface for the suitcase.
* Leave an extra blanket out so guests don’t have to go searching if they get chilly in the middle of the night.
In the bath and powder room:
* Paper towels and disposable hand towels cut down on laundry and are actually more sanitary than having everyone use a common towel. Decorative ones in the powder room add a special touch for the holidays.
* If your extra bath towels and wash cloths have been stashed in the back of the linen closet, they may be dusty, musty, and a bit crushed. Laundering will revive them for your guests.
* Stock a small basket with travel-size items your guests may forget, such as toothpaste, deodorant, shampoo, cream rinse and lotion, and a new toothbrush.
* Replace worn bars of soap with new ones. Restock liquid soap dispensers.
* Leave extra rolls of toilet paper out in plain sight – or be sure your guests know where you store them.
Enjoy the holidays and try some of these ideas to make your guest visit one to remember.
Contact InformationUniversity of Nebraska-Lincoln in Lancaster County
Web site: lancaster.unl.edu
444 Cherrycreek Road, Suite A, Lincoln, NE 68528 | 402-441-7180