Fresh Produce from the Farmers' Market, Your Garden or Grocery Store!Recipes, Storage, Canning and Freezing Tips
Alice Henneman, MS, RD
Questions about this Web page?
Contact Alice Henneman
Enjoy now ... and throughout the year ... fresh produce from the Farmers' Market, your garden or the grocery story with these recipes, storage and canning/freezing tips.
I've included some bread recipes that are especially good with crusty-type breads found at Farmers' Markets and in the bakery sections of many grocery stores. Or, your own homemade bread!
- Freezing foods
- Canning foods
- Video and fact sheet on storing fresh produce, with special tips for Farmers' Markets
- Tell us what you think
- Black Bean and Rice Salad
- Zucchini Bread
- Wrap It Up (with wraps)
- Rice Del Sol
- Springtime Recipes (brochure)
- Summertime Cooking - Number One (brochure)
- Summertime Cooking - Number Two (brochure)
- Fall Cooking (brochure)
- Winter Cooking (brochure)
- Loose Leaf Green Lettuce Salad with Apple Cider Vinegar Dressing
- Pasta Fritatta with Peas or Tomatoes
- Mighty Quick Coleslaw (and variations)
- Country Style Potato Salad
- Snappy Coleslaw
- Tomato Basil Bruschetta
- "Mighty Caesar" Salad
- What to Do with Zucchini (a collection of recipes)
- Apples Anytime (a collection of recipes)
- Healthy Cooking with Fresh Herbs (directions for using herbs in cooking)
- MORE ...
- Tips for cleaning fresh produce, handling it safely and MORE!
- Making an Olive Oil Salad Dressing (great for accompanying those fresh salad greens!)
- Lettuce: Descriptions/uses for different types (Source: Centers for Disease Control and Prevention)
- Greens: Descriptions/uses for different types (Source: Centers for Disease Control and Prevention)
- Spinach: Descriptions/uses for different types (Source: Centers for Disease Control and Prevention)
- Container Gardening (Source: University of Nebraska Extension NebGuide)
- Freezing Vegetables
- Onions (no blanching needed!)
- Sweet/Bell or Hot Peppers (no blanching needed)
- Freezing Tomatoes with and without Their Skins (no blanching needed)
- Freezer Jam (Source: University of Georgia Extension)
- Links to LOTS more information and RECIPES for freezing specific foods
- Need a recipe for canning salsa?
- Want to know how and why to "acidify" tomatoes when canning?
- Looking for information on whether a canning practice is safe?
Canning cucumbers brochure, click HERE.
Directions, recipes for canning foods, help finding canning supplies, etc.: click HERE.
Canning salsa brochure, click HERE.
Canning tomatoes brochure, click HERE.
For a related fact sheet, click HERE.
UNL Colleges with Food-related Degrees:
Schedule a Personalized visit to the UNL Camps: