4-H Achievement Night
A celebration of the 4-H Year
4-H Achievement Night
University of Nebraska-Lincoln Extension in Lancaster County and 4-H Council presented Lancaster County 4-H Achievement Night on Feb. 12. 4-H’ers, 4-H clubs, and 4-H leaders were recognized for their 2012 achievements. The Lancaster County Board of Commissioners signed a proclamation declaring February 12 as "4-H Achievement Day." Lancaster County 4-H congratulates all 4-H youth who commit themselves to excellence! We also thank all 4-H volunteers who donate their time and talents to youth!
COMMUNITY SERVICE AWARDS
Presented to 4-H’ers who have completed the most hours of community service. Award recipients receive a $30 Activity Certificate from Lancaster County 4-H Council redeemable towards 4-H activities and supplies.
Age 14 and over: Victoria Garza, Holly Hillebran, Austin Hurt, Kylee Plager, Paige Roach, Sheridan Swotek
Age 13 and under: Valerie Gabel, Elizabeth Garza, Kyle Hurt, McKenzie Kapperman, Brooke Kreikemeier, Emma Lanik, Addison Wanser, Alyssa Zimmer
Career Portfolios are a record of an individual’s 4-H career. It includes a record of personal growth and leadership experiences related to the knowledge learned, skills gained, and community service/volunteer activities experienced through 4-H. Award recipients receive a $30 Activity Certificate from Lancaster County 4-H Council redeemable towards 4-H activities and supplies.
- Cassie Meyer: Animal Science
- Sheridan Swotek: Healthy Lifestyles Education
Nominated to represent Lancaster County at District competition:
- Madeline Gabel: Consumer & Family Science; Healthy Living
- Cassie Meyer: Animal Science
- Sheridan Swotek: Healthy Lifestyles Education; Leadership and Citizenship
NEBRASKA DIAMOND CLOVER PROGRAM
The Nebraska 4-H Diamond Clover Program is a statewide program which encourages 4-H members to engage in a variety of projects and activities. Every 4-H’er who participates can earn recognition! At the beginning of the 4-H year, youth choose goals from a provided list, and at the end of the 4-H year, complete a report which documents their accomplishments. Youth can progress from Level 1 up to Level 6.
Level 1 - Amethyst: Kieran Burkey, Catherine Hytrek, Joshua Hytrek, Megan Lange, Sophie Polk, Anna Sump, John Sump, David Swotek, Addison Wanser
Level 2 - Aquamarine: Ellie Babcock, Nathan Becker, Cassie Brown, Nathan Gabel, Valerie Griess, Kayla Humphrey, Rachael Lange
Level 3 - Ruby: Abby Babcock, Elizabeth Garza, James Griess, Brooke Kreikemeier, Jared Nielsen, Madelaine Polk, Jenna White, Alyssa Zimmer
Level 4 - Sapphire: Morgan Cuttlers, Valerie Gabel, Victoria Garza, Holly Hillebran, Emma Lanik, Caleb Nielsen, Paige Roach
Level 5 - Emerald: Madeline Gabel, Kylee Plager, Sheridan Swotek
NEBRASKA 4-H CLUBS OF EXCELLENCE
Nebraska 4-H Clubs of Excellence have met the criteria outlined by the State 4-H Office to be considered a “Club of Excellence.” Some of the criteria includes: choose/elect youth officers, have one club project (related to curriculum) which they do together, and complete one community service project.
- 4-H Explorers
- All American Kids
- Fantastic 4
- Joe’s Clover Knights
- Rabbits R Us
- Rock Creek Ranchers
- Rock’n Riders
- Star City Cornhuskers
- Super Shamrocks
I DARE YOU LEADERSHIP AWARD
Awarded on behalf of the American Youth Foundation (AYF) to juniors or seniors who strive to achieve their personal best and make a positive difference in their community. Lancaster County 4-H Council provides award recipients with a copy of William H. Danforth’s book, I Dare You! Two Lancaster County 4-H’ers are awarded this honor each year. Winners: Rachel Johnson, Caitlyn Schmidt
2013 4-H SENIORS: Brooke Bennett, Christian Brandt, Blaise Brinson, Kasie Bruss, Elli Dearmont, Ashley Densberger, Bryce Doeschot, Megan Ediger, Allie Esch, Talia Everding, Nicki Everding, Nicole Finkner, Sydney Giebler, Kaiya Green, Miranda Gunnerson, Jonathan Hollman, Jeffrey Hornung, Brianna Jensen, Elsa Johnson, Rachel Johnson, Breann Johnston, Kelsie Koch, Chandler Kramer, Nicolette Larsen, Ben Luedtke, Megan Luedtke, Taylon Lienemann, Katherine Lloyd, John Masinelli, Dyna Orthengren, Shane Ostransky, Bailee Peters, Kieran Pierce, Jacey Prange, Tasha Saathoff, Caitlyn Schmidt, Mollie Schoohoven, Liz Schreiber, Andrew Seuferer, Logan Sieck, Lindsey VanArsdall, Hannah Vorderstrasse, Kellan Willet
3 YEAR MEMBERS: Steven Aden, Morgan Applegarth, Sabastien Arnold, Caden Aue, Eliana Babcock, Robert Baier, Katarina Barmore, Mindy Bartels, Toby Becker, Breanna Bender, Courtney Bender, Peter Berhardson, Daniel Bernhardson, Cody Blessing, Dylan Blessing, Morgan Bodfield, Zennith Boerger, Chloe Bohaty, Grace Bozak, Emma Breitfelder, Madeline Breitfelder, Amilia Breton, Patrick Brown, Emma Brown, Garrett Brown, Paige Brown, Aidan Carlson, Bradley Carlson, Marissa Carlson, Glenn Catt, Elise Chaffin, Tanner Clagett, Patrick Clancy, Bridget Clarke, Abigail Clarke, Christine Cooper, Katherine Cooper, Stevie Cox, Desiree Davis, Kolton Davis, Alec Devall, Jillian Dicke, Alexandra Douglas, Abby Eilers, Margaret Eisenbarth, Elaina Ferguson, Makena Finnell, Alyssa Fisbeck, Nathan Fischer Damme, Joe Flodman, Christine Fortenberry, Ty Frazier, Peter Friesen, Laurel Frogge, Avery Fuhrman, Jacob Garrison, Ella Guerra, Nomar Guerra, Hannah Gutzmer, Adam Haeffner, Megan Hansen, Katie Hansen, Chelsea Harders, Josh Harper, Grace Hartweg, Alyssa Hellwege, Louis Helms, Joshua Henshaw, Colin Henshaw, Anna Hershberger, Ashley Holm, Lindsey Holm, Hope Hoyer, Emma Hoyer, Kaianna Hraban, Zander Hraban, Noah Huber, Ellie Hula, Kayla Humphrey, Madison Humphrey, Grant Huss, Rose Ingracia, Kyra Jewett, Ian Jewett, Luke Johnson, Braeland Jones, Aidan Kabourek, Brittany Kapperman, Sariah Knopik, Aiden Knopik, Krynne Knopik, Isabel Knutson, Thea Kohmetscher, Tenley Kozal, Brieanne Kroeger, Rebecca Krupicka, Nicolette Larsen, Gemma Larsen, Kobe Latimer, Aniessa Lauenroth, Kelsey Lewis, Delaney Leyden, Elizabeth Long, Kristen Loudon, Jaedon Loury, Kaden Maahs, Sarah Malina, Abbie Malone, Trevor McDonald, Nick McElroy, Allison McElroy, Dallas Merrill, Clairissa Merrill, Danielle Meyer, Sydney Miller, Christopher Moore, Emilee Mudge, Aislyn Mumgaard, Isaac Nabb, Olivia Nabb, Simon Nabb, Tyler Nabity, Tommy Nabity, Thomas Neal, Luke Nebel, Caroline Nebel, Greta Nebel, Kyler Nordstrom, Amanda Ochsner, Dona Ostojic, Anastacia Paitz, Riley Peterson, Madelaine Polk, Trevor Poulsen, Joey Rager, Meredith Reiter, Mark Reno, Lindsay Rickers, Cordelia Ring, Ethan Ringler, Tasha Saathoff, Megan Salmen, Emily Sandell, Brianna Sander, Sierra Sander, Chloe Sanders, Jordan Satter, Madison Schmidt, Sonia Schrick, Isabel Sheesley, Adam Smith, Jay Stander, Bailey Stougard, Livia Swanson, David Swotek, Madisyn Tetherow, Hadley Teut, Colter Tietjen, Judson Tietjen, Mariana Tines, Will Tolly, Maddie Tolly, Claire Torske, Alex Treacle, Sierra Umland, Paetyn Van Bibber, Kaitlyn Vander Woude, Cameron Walters, Addison Wanser, Sryiani Wasson, Hailey Watermeier, Luke Weldon, Alexandra Weldon, Olivia Wheeler, Elijah Whitaker, Jenna White, Tee Whited, Rio Whited, Kari Williams, Sierra Wilson, Katie Wirthele, Michael Young, Alden Zabawa, Syndi Ziemke, Clayton Zimmerman
2 YEAR LEADERS: Susan Bockrath, Bridget Bogle, Belinda Brown, Matt Davis, Pam Davis, Jennifer Davis Korn, Lisa Guerra, Ken Halvorsen, Elizabeth Halvorsen, Tera Heidbrink, Renee Heusinger, Kellie Hollman Gallagher, Denise Keierleber, Bobbi Sue Mack, Stephanie Mack, Aimee Nebel, Amanda Percival, Jeff Rawlinson, Brent Sieck, Sharlyn Sieck, Maralee Sobotka, Linda Thompson, Stephanie Wachter, DeAnna Wilkinson, Lori Williams, Karen Wilson
5 YEAR LEADERS: Kimberly Barmore, Pam Butterfield, Katie Cruickshank, Mariah DeFord, Christal Dehning, Mary Dorsey, Traci Lloyd, Bobbie Magnuson, Analisa Peterson, Stephanie Polk, Kenneth Prey, Shannon Vogler
10 YEAR LEADERS: Lynnette Nelson, Chris Peters, Lisa Preston, Tracy Scow, Carol Wolf
20 YEAR LEADER: Marsha Prior
OUTSTANDING 4-H MEMBERS
Presented to individuals 14 years of age or older who have excelled in his/her involvement with the Lancaster County 4-H program. Selection is based on participation in a wide variety — and depth of — 4-H activities.
Winners: Elli Dearmont, Kaiya Green
4-H MERITORIOUS SERVICE
Presented to individuals or organizations who have exhibited consistent and strong support of the Lancaster County 4-H program:
Lorene Bartos: Lorene Bartos started her Extension career in 1973. She has served many roles in her 40 years of service, including the 4-H development program. In 1976, Lorene helped start the 4-H Embryology program in local schools. She helped with the development of Eastern Nebraska 4-H Center (camp) and currently is a board member. Lorene has dedicated countless hours to the Lancaster County Fair. She organizes "Fair Fun Day" for child care groups and last year organized the 4-H historical displays. An instructor at 4-H Clover College, she teaches a variety of workshops. As a member of Lincoln Center Kiwanis, she organizes the annual Kiwanis Karnival and coordinates the Outstanding 4-H Clubs and college scholarship sponsored by Kiwanis.
OUTSTANDING 4-H CLUBS
To encourage participation in the county fair, Lincoln Center Kiwanis Club awards traveling trophies to the top 4-H clubs participating in the Lancaster County Super Fair. One category winner is awarded the Wayne C. Farmer memorial cup as the overall Outstanding 4-H Club for the year. Clubs receive points based on all members’ total county fair exhibit and contest placings. The Outstanding 4-H Clubs were also recognized at a Kiwanis meeting.
Category I (membership of 5-7 members): Fantastic 4 (Leader: Jennifer Smith)
Category II (membership of 8-12): All American Kids (Leader: Holly Steinbach)
Category III (membership of 13 or more) and winner of the Wayne C. Farmer trophy as overall Outstanding Club: South Prairie Wranglers (Leader: Kendra Ronnau)
The Lancaster County 4-H program offers a variety of college scholarships to active senior 4-H members.
Lancaster County 4-H Council: Awards six $500 scholarships to active Lancaster County 4-H’ers: Elli Dearmont, Kaiya Green, Jonathan Hollman, Chandler Kramer, Megan Luedtke, Caitlyn Schmidt
4-H Teen Council: Awards $250 scholarships to current 4-H’ers who are active in Teen Council: Christian Brandt, Caitlyn Schmidt
Lincoln Center Kiwanis: Awards a $1,000 scholarship to current high school senior who is active in 4-H: Kaiya Green
ACCOMPLISHMENTS OF NOTE
Regional Speech & PSA Contest - Several Lancaster County 4-H’ers participated in the Southeast Regional Speech and Public Service Announcement (PSA) Contests. The following received purple ribbons. The top five in each division also received medals.
- Senior Speech: Holly Hillebran (2nd place medal), Elli Dearmont
- Junior Speech: Claire Strong, Addison Wanser
- Senior PSA: Elli Dearmont (2nd place medal), Paige Roach (3rd place medal), Sheridan Swotek (4th place medal)
- Intermediate PSA: Emma Lanik (2nd place medal), Taylor Nielsen (3rd place medal)
- Junior PSA: Addison Wanser (1st place medal), Nathan Becker (4th place medal), Colter Tietjen
State Fair PSA Contest - Paige Roach — Top Alternate/3rd place PSA
State Fair Presentations Contest: The following youth represented Lancaster County at the State Fair Presentations Contest. *Indicates purple ribbon at state:
- Maddie Gabel*, Valerie Gabel*, Rose Ingracia*, Kylee Plager* & Sheridan Swotek* (team)
- Jacob Rushman* (a statewide top four Premier Presenter), Emily Steinbach* (a statewide top four Outstanding Audiovisual Presenter), Jaime Stephenson, Julia Stephenson
PASE/LIFE CHALLENGE CONTESTS
In this statewide contest, teens test their skills in animal science.
Premier Animal Science Events (PASE): In this statewide contest, teens test their skills in animal science.
- Livestock Judging Senior Team -- Livestock Judging Senior Team: Ashton Cooper, Cody Dewald, Taylon Lienemann — 4th place overall team, 6th in reasons, 3rd in swine, 7th in sheep/goats
- Rachel Johnson (Senior) — 5th place overall individual, 4th in reasons, 9th in swine
- Madalyn Scott (Intermediate) — 8th individual in sheep
Life Challenge: In this statewide contest, teens test their skills in family and consumer sciences.
- Clothing Challenge Team -- Helen Dowd, Madeline Gabel, Emily Steinbach, Jaime Stephenson — Foods and Nutrition Challenge (4th place overall); “Best Illustrations” in the Child Development Challenge (1st place out of 26 teams)
- Entrepreneur Challenge Team -- Mary Dowd, Valerie Gabel, Molly Noel — Overall Business and Marketing Concept (4th place); Product Development (4th place); Creative Presentation (5th place)
- Entrepreneur Challenge Team -- Charles Dowd, Madeline Gabel, Emma Lanik — Overall Business and Marketing Concepts (3rd place); Written Plan (5th place)
- Clover Challenge Quiz Bowl Team -- Ceirra Austin, Emily Steinbach, Jaime Stephenson, Sheridan Swotek (4th place overall)
STATE FAIR TOP PLACINGS:
- Cassie Meyer — Dog Agility, Level 3 (Reserve Champion)
- Erica Peterson — Nebraska State Historical Society Certificate of Achievement for Poster and Scrapbook “Discovering Nebraska One County at a Time”
- Paige Roach — Quilt Computer Notebook (Top Outstanding Exhibit)
- Madelyn Scott — Sheep Intermediate Showmanship (3rd place); Sheep Hampshire Market Lamb (Reserve Champion); Sheep Crossbred Market Lamb (Reserve Champion)
- Riley Scott — Sheep Junior Showmanship (Champion); Breeding Sheep - Commercial Meat Breed (Champion); Sheep Suffolk Market Lamb (Reserve Champion)
STATE FAIR FASHION SHOW & SHOPPING IN STYLE: The following youth represented Lancaster County at the State Fair Fashion and Shopping in Style Contests. *Indicates purple ribbon at state:
- Fashion Show: Brenna Doeschot*, Sadie Hammond, Kylee Plager*, Renae Sieck*, Emily Steinbach*
- Shopping in Style: Sadie Hammond*
AK-SAR-BEN 4-H EXPO TOP PLACINGS:
- Cassie Meyer — Dairy Showmanship (Champion); Dairy Jersey (Grand Champion); Dairy Junior Jersey (Champion)
HORSE NATIONAL CHAMPIONS. In January, several Lancaster County 4-H horse youth represented Nebraska at the 2012 National 4-H Horse Classic at the 4-H/FFA Western National Roundup in Denver, Colorado.
- Team Nebraska -- High Overall State Award -- National Champions (2nd Year in a Row!!): Elli Dearmont, Ivy Dearmont, Ashley Holm, Megan Luedtke, Kate Rawlinson, Hannah Ronnau, Sierra Nelson, Bailee Sobotka, Lexi Wolfe, and 4-H’ers from Douglas/Sarpy Counties
- Hippology Team — Overall High Team — National Champions: Elli Dearmont, Megan Luedtke, Kate Rawlinson, and Hannah Ronnau (coached by Kendra Ronnau)
- Horse Team Demonstration — High Team — National Champions: Ivy Dearmont and Lexi Wolfe (coached by Kendra Ronnau)
- Horse Judging Team — 4th High Team Overall: Vanessa Butterfield, Ashley Holm, Sierra Nelson, Bailee Sobotka (coached by Roger Bell)
NATIONAL RABBIT CONVENTION. In October, several Lancaster County 4-H’ers and Gage County 4-H’ers were the first Nebraska 4-H members to attend a national American Rabbit Breeders Association (ARBA) convention. The Lancaster County youth all competed in team contests and showed rabbits:Hannah Bellinghausen, Kaiya Green, Emily Harms, Noah Huber, Austin Hurt, Jacey Prange, Alyssa Zimmer
Find more of UNL Extension in Lancaster County on:
...friend us! join us! check out all our social media sites here.