4-H Horse Awards Night
4-H is for all youth ages 5-18, and adult volunteers.
- Lancaster Co. 4-H Home
- Find Your Local 4-H
- Nebraska 4-H
- Search this Site
- Email This Page to a Friend
UNL Extension helps you Know how. Know now.
2012 4-H HORSE AWARDS NIGHT
The 2012 4-H Horse Awards Night was held Oct. 2. The evening recognized top achievements at the Lancaster County Super Fair and other accomplishments throughout the past year. 4-H volunteer Jeff Rawlinson was Master of Ceremonies. Lucky Lopers 4-H Club distributed programs, Ghost Riders 4-H Club led the Pledge of Allegiance and 4-H Pledge, and Salt Valley 4-H Club organized and served treat trays. Hannah Ronnau edited the Highlights Reel (which will be posted soon at www.youtube.com/user/4HLancasterNE). Congratulations to all Lancaster County 4-H horsemen for their achievements in 2012!
Photos from Awards Night will be available on Flickr
HORSE COURSE CHALLENGE RESULTS
The Horse Course Challenge is a Lancaster County Super Fair 4-H contest. Study material is based on the online horse course.
Elementary Division (everyone who took the test received a purple ribbon!) — Ashley Clegg and Aussia Stander (tie for Champion — perfect score!), Bethany Wachter (Reserve Champion — perfect score!), Dani Drbal (4th place), Madison Sobotka (5th place), Jenna Wolfe and Emmi Dearmont (tied for 6th and 7th place), Alexia Harre (8th place), Grace Spaulding (9th place), Abby Baack (10th place)
Junior Division (everyone who took the test received a purple ribbon!) — Ivy Dearmont (Champion — perfect score!), Justine Gall (Reserve Champion), Spencer Peters (3rd place), Bailee Sobotka (4th place), Alexis Wolfe (5th place), Anna Baack (6th place), Hailey Hula (7th place)
Senior Division — Kate Rawlinson (Champion), Megan Luedtke (Reserve Champion), Nicole Finkner and Elli Dearmont (tied for 3rd and 4th place), Brooke Bennett (5th place)
The Horse Judging Contest at the Lancaster County Super Fair emphasizes how much 4-H members know about horses as they judge four or more classes of horses. Senior division participants also give oral reasons. Buckles sponsored by Glen Umberger’s family.
Elementary Division — Joshua Ronnau (Champion), Kieran Burkey (Reserve Champion), Jenna Wolfe (3rd place), Ethan Ang (4th place), Emmi Dearmont (5th place), Ellie Bunz (6th place), Alie Hausmann (7th place), Alexia Harre (8th place), Ashley Clegg (9th place), Aussia Stander (10th place
Junior Division — Ivy Dearmont (Champion), Elizabeth Robinett (Reserve Champion), Hailey Hula (3rd place), Jacob Ronnau (4th place), Lexi Wolfe (5th place), Spencer Peters (6th place), Ashley Holm (7th place), Nicole McConnell (8th place), Ashley Bradbury (9th place), Sierra Nelson (10th place)
Senior Division — Elli Dearmont (Champion), Hannah Ronnau (Reserve Champion), Kate Rawlinson (3rd place), Josie Ang (4th place), Cory Peters (5th place), Brooke Bennett (6th place), Megan Leudtke (7th place), Bailey Peterson (8th place), Brittany Albers (9th place), Haylie Pointer (10th place)
HERDSMANSHIP & STALL DECORATION AWARDS
Herdsmanship at the Lancaster County Super Fair is “the manner in which members care for their animals and display them at the fair.” All exhibitors are expected to care for their horses (feed, water and manure disposal) and cooperate in keeping stalls and alleys clean, neat and attractive. This was the best year ever for herdsmanship — all horse clubs and independent members had an average in the high 90’s!
- Top Herdsmanship - Clubs — Western Pride and Harmony Hill (tie)
- Top Herdsmanship - Independent Members — Lena Ostransky (1st place), Baxter Whitla (2nd place)
- Best Stall Decorations - Independent Member — Chloe Brinson
- Most Clever Stall Decorations— Viken Riders
- Best Stall Decorations - Large Club — Rockin’ Riders
HORSE INCENTIVE AWARDS
4-H’ers logged the hours they spent working with or learning about horses. The more hours invested, the more valuable the reward! This year, 57 4-H’ers participated. The Incentive Awards are sponsored by the Lancaster County 4-H Horse Volunteers in Program Service (VIPS) Committee. A special thank you to Ruth, Megan, and Maria Luedtke who coordinated the awards.
- Bronze (minimum of 100 hours) — Brooke Bennett, Jennifer Daharsh, Emmi Dearmont, Alie Hausmann, Ellie Hula, Travis Hula, Sarina Kyhn, Kristen Loudon, Ben Luedtke, Joshua Ronnau, Julie Soukup, Aussia Stander, Olivia Wheeler, Alyia Whitehall
- Silver (minimum of 183 hours) — Abigail Baack, Anna Baack, Grace Bozak, Ashley Bradbury, Vanessa Butterfield, Marissa Carlson, Ashley Clegg, Megan Danley, Elli Dearmont, Ivy Dearmont, Allison Densberger, Dani Drbal, Kathleen Duncan, Nicole Finkner, Emily Flanagin, Ella Gerlach, Megan Hansen, Mia Hermanson, Hailey Hula, Madison Humphrey, Jordan Lebsack, Megan Luedtke, Nicole McConnell, Annika Novotny, Nicole Oestmann, Spencer Peters, Bailey Peterson, Jacob Ronnau, Bethany Wachter, Jena Wilson, Jenna Wolfe, Kenzie Wolfe, Lexi Wolfe, Emmaly Wright
- Gold (minimum of 366 hours and completed horse record book) — Justine Gall, Aubrey Hayes, Kenzy Hayes, Kenzie Mayer, Sierra Nelson, Hannah Ronnau, Bailee Sobotka, Madison Sobotka
4-H HORSE PROJECT HORSEMANSHIP ADVANCEMENT LEVELS
The Nebraska 4-H Horse Program advancement levels are designed to serve as guides for instruction and evaluation of each members progress. The correct handling of horses is emphasized from the beginning level to the most advanced level. 80 Lancaster County 4-H’ers achieved a new level of horsemanship this year. Five horsemanship levels were recognized: Walk/Trot, Level I, Level II, Level III, and Level IV! Each level is a huge accomplishment.
- Walk/trot — Madi Brandt, Ellie Bunz, Megan Danley, Emmi Dearmont, Ella Gerlach, Anthony Jackson, Jordyn Jackson, Marlee Moss, Katherine Moyer, Aislyn Mumgaard, Hayden Russell, Meredith Russell, Sierra Sander
- Level I — Abby Baack, Anna Baack, Kieran Burkey, Jillian Brummer, Justine Gall, Sammi Grendahl, Alexia Harre, Lindsey Holm, Ellie Hula, Aubrey Hayes, Kenzy Hayes, Cyanne Heusinkvelt, Breann Johnston, Kristen Loudon, Savanna McCombs, Claire Meinke, Annika Novotny, Amara Harris-Philpot, Ally Quinn, Gemma Seevers, Gracie Seevers, Adam Smith, Mazzii Snyder, Julia Soukup, Aussia Stander, Taylor Stephens, Jaidin Stonacek, Hadley Teut, Stella Uiterwaal, Lana Wang, Sriyani Wasson, Thaddeus Wegrzyn, Syndi Ziemke
- Level II — Abigail Clarke, Emily Clarke, Leah Egeberg, Megan Hansen, Alie Hausmann, Aubrey Hayes, Breann Johnston, Mikayla Lonowski, Hailee Lynn, Tori Malina, Kenzie Mayer, Katie Miller, Shelby Polk, Adam Smith, Jaidin Stonacek, Olivia Wennstedt, Lindsey Williams, Katy Wolf
- Level III — Ashley Bradbury, Emma Bueling, Ivy Dearmont, Courtney Goering, Hailey Hula, Elizabeth Robinett, Jadin Vogler, Heather Welch, Jena Wilson Level IV — Elli Dearmont, Courtney Goering, Bailey Vogler
Dick and Cookie Confer Top Trail Award for all-around champion of the Lancaster County Super Fair 4-H Trail obstacle class — McKenzie Beach
Franklyn Manning Family Trophy for fastest time in the Lancaster County Super Fair 4-H Barrel racing competition — Kenzie Wolfe (her time was 16.260)
Three age division awards for Lancaster County Super Fair All-Around Cowboy/Cowgirl are sponsored by Prange Excavating of Panama, Miller Performances Horses of Firth, and Dana & Pam Wolfe Family.
- Elementary — Hadley Teut
- Junior — Rio Whited
- Senior — Bailey Vogler
ALL-AROUND RANCH HORSE
Three age division awards for Lancaster County Super Fair All-Around Ranch Horse (new this year) are sponsored by Western Welding of Crete - Josh White and Jimmy Gallagher.
- Elementary — Hadley Teut (horse “Cougar”)
- Junior — Jaiden Vogler (horse “Kenai)
- Senior — Bailey Vogler (horse “Smoke”)
WILHELMINA WITTSTRUCK ALL-AROUND CHAMPION
Wilhelmina Wittstruck Memorial Award for Lancaster County Super Fair All-Around 4-H Champion Individual — Bailey Sobotka
- Top Sportsmanship — 4-H member Aubrey Hayes presented to Madison Sobotka
- Outstanding Level III Written Report — Ashley Bradbury
- Git-R-Done Award — Chloe Brinson
- Making the Best Better — Mikayla Lonowski
State Horse Exposition
Top Individual Placings — Ashley Anderson, Michael Anderson, Chelsea Beach, McKenzie Beach, Ashley Bradbury, Emma Bueling, Vanessa Butterfield, Marissa Carlson, Morgan Chipps, Elli Dearmont, Courtney Goering, Jamie Hansen, Abbie Heusinger, Anna Heusinger, Audrey Heusinger, Bailey Hooper, Candice Lahners, Nicole McConnell, Mattison Merritt, Sierra Nelson, Bailee Peters, Bailey Peterson, Kate Rawlinson, Sydney Scow, Bailey Sobotka, Bailey Vogler, Heather Welch, Olivia Wennstedt, Alexis Wolfe, Mackenzie Wolfe
Top Team Placings —
- Horse Judging Team (Champion): Sierra Nelson, Bailey Sobotka, Vanessa Butterfield, Ashley Holm
- Horse Judging Team (Reserve Champion): Cory Peters, Josie Ang, Kenzie Wolfe, Erika Warner
- Horse Judging Team (3rd place): Lexi Wolfe, Ivy Dearmont, Ben Luedtke, Brooke Bennett
- Senior Hippology Team (Champion): Hannah Ronnau, Elli Dearmont, Megan Luedtke, Kate Rawlinson
- Junior Hippology Team (5th place): Jacob Ronnau, Claire Meinke
State Horse Stampede
Top Individual Champions and Reserve Champions — Chelsea Harders, Jacob Ronnau, Hannah Ronnau, Sidney Schlesiger, Jenna Wolfe
Top Team Placings —
- Senior Demonstration (Champion): Lexi Wolfe and Ivy Dearmont
- Horse Bowl Team (Reserve Champion): Hannah Ronnau, Elli Dearmont, Kate Rawlinson, Kenzie Wolfe, Brooke Bennett
Ak-Sar-Ben Horse Show Premier Exhibitor Competition
Lancaster County 4-H’ers placed 1, 2, 3 and 4! Hannah Ronnau (Champion), Kate Rawlinson (Reserve Champion), Elli Dearmont (3rd place), Ivy Dearmont (4th place)
4-H & FFA Western Nationals Held in Denver, Colorado
- Horse Bowl team (national champions): Megan Luedtke, Cory Peters, Ian Schuster, Erika Warner.
- Public speaking (national reserve champion): Elli Dearmont.
- Individual Demonstration (5th in nation): Kenzie Wolfe.
Overall, Nebraska earned National Champion (Lancaster teams along with Douglas/Sarpy hippology and judging teams)!
University of Nebraska Scholarships & Financial Aid Resources:
- University of Nebraska
- University of Nebraska-Lincoln
- UNL School of Natural Resources
- UNL College of Agricultural Sciences and Natural Resources (CASNR)
More UNL Resources:
Find more of UNL Extension in Lancaster County on:
...friend us! join us! check out all our social media sites here.